Whine from front lsd i think, anybody experienced similar problems?

bevan

Sunday Drivers
Ok so having big problems with clutch return/ Noisy gearbox the last two or three days looking for help or suggestions, started to notice a light whine from what i assumed was the synchros in the box on down change and on deceleration, my car is a 96 Sti type ra with the short ratio TY752VB4CA box and open front diff.

I always drive the car with mechanical sympathy don't abuse it and don't ride the clutch or try full bore launches etc any one that knows me will vouch its not driven like a chav, but i do drive it on occasionally and have always noticed some whine from the box at times, with the dccd it does knock a little on tight manouvers at low speed unless in diff free. I normally drive it in diff free last setting green box constantly (i'm now worried i shouldnt have been) or two notches up in triangle 2 in icy weather or very greasy conditions, I never use the DCCd in anything above and never ever in diff lock.

So a week or so ago i started to get concerned about a constant whine more like a ticking like a winding if that makes sense, about 200kms further driving and having checked drive shafts, joints, gear box oil level etc this has now changed to a much more worrying noise that i assume is the front lsd. Its like a wind up noise on lifting off, and once or twice its turned to a really deep grinding noise, on roundabouts or tight turns lifting off power. Its now present on acceleration as well until exhaust note drowns it out.

I have had previous problems with pedal return i found was due to a loose spring in under the intercooler, this was sorted by a new spring and re tensioning, and pedal feel was grand again until today. Pedal is down to floor and not returning i have about 1 inch of travel, but can get gears cleanly and can make out the bite point. I don't know if this problem is related to the first but worth mentioning. Dave in Sti tuning rebuilt the car and had said the clutch was about 80% with a re skimmed flywheel that's 13,000 kms ago

Anyone had any similar problems and am i right in saying its differential related as no issue getting gears, no slop in change and no problems in actual driving just noisy and worrying, also could it be a centre diff noise seems to come from front left more so.

Being that its over christmas and i won't get any one to have a look at it, or have the time or money i've just stopped driving it for fear of doing any serious damage. Any ideas what i could be looking at? Haven't rang Dave yet as only he or if i'm stuck as i live in Wexford Phil Kirwan have ever been near the car. But looking for pointers as to what could be wrong and how much i'm looking at to set right

I assume a second hand box is about 4- 500 quid, a exedy stage 1 clutch kit about 350-400? and then maybe a flywheel and add in labour so not cheap all in. If i have to change the box i don't have the budget to go 6 speed, and wouldn't like to use a normal ratio box, but would love to put in a UK 5th when the opportunity arises.

Back