Garaging/Storing a Car for Winter

Rob Spec C

Octane Boostaholics
I have the car parked up in the garage now for the winter months and most likely keep it there till March/April anyway.

In that time, I'll have it on axle stands while I intend on addressing some of the surface rust that is on the underside of the car.

So whats the best location for the stands? Would I be best to disconnect the battery and put it on pemanent trickle charge? Should I start the car once a week and let all the fluids get up to temp and ensure that everything stays in good working order?

What are the other do's and don'ts for storing a car?

1., Winter time should be the best time to drive subarus but unfortunately no snow this year :icon_cry:
2., I am in a similar situation as don`t drive Her much . sometimes for weeks, would be interested what can I do to keep the car in good order. I had issues with My car due to been parked for long so I would listen to any genuine suggestions .

Best spot for axle stands Robbie at the rear is on either sides of the diff cradle crossmember where it mounts with two plates to the inside of the sill. You can place them on the jacking points at the rear but if left for time it can flatten the overlap join of your sills. At the front you van position them at the rear of the front wishbone at the mounts where they pivot at the bottom of the chassis leg support. Trickle charges are best as they prevent you disconnecting the battery to remove it for storage. Keep her dry... Especially during the damp cold nights so a small heater might come in handy unless the garage is heated and cover it with a breathable cover. I wouldn't worry about starting her if she's only sat up for a few months but you could turn her over at the crank pulley if worried. Put a few shallow large trays of salt on each foot well to keep the moisture levels down on thd inside. Finally, make sure she's properly dry if you wash her before you park her up. All very obvious I know.

[quote author=JAMIE-TYPERV6 link=topic=32662.msg374296#msg374296 date=1324976446]
Best spot for axle stands Robbie at the rear is on either sides of the diff cradle crossmember where it mounts with two plates to the inside of the sill. You can place them on the jacking points at the rear but if left for time it can flatten the overlap join of your sills. At the front you van position them at the rear of the front wishbone at the mounts where they pivot at the bottom of the chassis leg support. Trickle charges are best as they prevent you disconnecting the battery to remove it for storage. Keep her dry... Especially during the damp cold nights so a small heater might come in handy unless the garage is heated and cover it with a breathable cover. I wouldn't worry about starting her if she's only sat up for a few months but you could turn her over at the crank pulley if worried. Put a few shallow large trays of salt on each foot well to keep the moisture levels down on thd inside. Finally, make sure she's properly dry if you wash her before you park her up. All very obvious I know.
[/quote]

Great advice Jamie :thumbsup:

Just in my mates there and he has his Evo vw beetle and Subaru in store and has a dehumidifier in the garage. Said its a must have.

I have my car in storage all the time , try to get up at least once a week to start

The car up , don't want any of the the seals getting dried out and perished , also have a dehumidifier in garage to keep moisture out :thumbsup:

Only thing I'd be wary of is starting her up on axle stand... Hence the advice!! Try get some heavy duty stands like ones I was showing you if you are planning on starting her up!

Will be getting some heavy duty axle stands in the New Year, have a dehumidifier here alright but they are expensive to run.

Have to take the car back out again over the next week or so to give it a proper wash and try to clean underneath as much as possible. Have a good breathable cover so will stick that on once the car is properly dry.

Gonna try and seal up the garage doors as well as possible to try and keep the temperature up. Will stick a heater in there on a timer and put some salt trays out as well. Does that work really well? Would be a lot cheaper doing that than using the dehumidifier, want to save a few €'s where possible :icon_lol:

[quote author=Sweetcakes link=topic=32662.msg374343#msg374343 date=1325016707]

Gonna try and seal up the garage doors as well as possible to try and keep the temperature up.
[/quote]

might be able to help you out there robbie , have sh*t load of rubber seals for windows and doors in the van , also have a roll of draft excluder in the yard in ballymount , cant remember the size of your doors so do a quick measure on them and i'l sort ya out :thumbsup:

Justins little bro's Beemer was parked up down outside the garage Robbie for a winter along with his missus corolla... He left salt trays in his yoke and came back from travels to find his car was fine on the inside while his better halves had mouldy fur all over the seats.

Gonna do that alright, will mix in a bit of rice too, I hear that's good for absorbing moisture then from the salt. Sure its worth a try anyway :thumbsup:

robbie just saw this advertised its a tent for the car, cleancar.ie carcoon evo. might be of interest

[quote author=Anto J link=topic=32662.msg374603#msg374603 date=1325234049]
robbie just saw this advertised its a tent for the car, cleancar.ie carcoon evo. might be of interest
[/quote]

€350 :icon_omg: .. It would be some job but not at that price :thumbsup:

[quote author=Dagnut link=topic=32662.msg374609#msg374609 date=1325238335]
get some silica gel packs

http://www.kitepackaging.co.uk/products.asp?subcatid=325&gclid=CIni-7HBqa0CFSFItAodW1EX1A
[/quote]

Cheers for the link, could be useful.Think Iactually have a load of them knocking around here after christmas :smile:

What about the cars dashboard vents... should they be left fully closed to keep outside damp air out or open to circulate fresh air?? Just wondering because I have the old car sitting in driveway and last time I checked there was a lot of moisture on inside front/rear windows and I think vents are fully open. Doesn't seem to be any problems with the seats though and mold as was said above.

It'll be irrelevant whether the vents are open/closed if the car is sitting out-of-doors as it'll be near impossible to control moisture levels when it's out in the open. It may be beneficial to do so when the car is stored indoors but drastic temp changes in the morning will be there reason for so much moisture on front/rear window. TBH... if you're worried about keeping the car dry and moisture free... I'd get it indoors.

[quote author=JAMIE-TYPERV6 link=topic=32662.msg376934#msg376934 date=1326809147]
It'll be irrelevant whether the vents are open/closed if the car is sitting out-of-doors as it'll be near impossible to control moisture levels when it's out in the open. It may be beneficial to do so when the car is stored indoors but drastic temp changes in the morning will be there reason for so much moisture on front/rear window. TBH... if you're worried about keeping the car dry and moisture free... I'd get it indoors.
[/quote]

I wish I could store it indoors but unfortunately I don't have a garage so... :dontknow:

Back