Powerwashed engine bay

geogan

Petrolheads
Went to Texaco garage for my usual DIY pwerwash (€4 for eight minutes) but this time I opened the bonnet before starting the timer and sprayed the engine bay with Gunk Engine degreasant, then closed bonnet down and started my manual machine wash. About 5 minutes later after I finished the outside I opened bonnet again and sprayed using power rinse mode the entire engine bay holding the lance about 2 foot or more away so it wasn't as strong force and it spread out a bit. I then turned on engine and it worked fine - could see the water evaporating from hot engine. The next day I bought Auto Glym Vinyl and Rubber care and sprayed it over engine bay (it leaves milky white blobs all over the place).

img1108qt.jpg

I left that overnight and next day engine bay looked like this... yes the pipes and things do like like they are totally soaking wet now all the time...

I know some people recommend covering all the electrical parts before doing this but I have used power hose from petrol station a few times now with no problems at all. :thumbsup:

img1111gq.jpg

Looks nice and shiny :thumbsup:

Next up you should use some autosol and an MF cloth to rub the strut brace which will clean it up lovely :smile:

[quote author=JAMIE-TYPERV6 link=topic=32658.msg374264#msg374264 date=1324926572]
Beware it'll destroy your alternator unless you protect it!! Looks well all the same!!
[/quote]

Will it - i'll cover that with tinfoil from now on then. I don't think it'll need powerwashing again for a long time - it just looked like it was never cleaned before this time :naughty:

[quote author=Sweetcakes link=topic=32658.msg374239#msg374239 date=1324912758]
Looks nice and shiny :thumbsup:

Next up you should use some autosol and an MF cloth to rub the strut brace which will clean it up lovely :smile:
[/quote]

Which Autosol product do you recommend or is there only one? Will that work on radiator too? Are both steel or is radiator aluminium?

Autosol metal polish, circa €7 in Halfords. Will be effective on all metals, so both steel and aluminium :thumbsup:

[quote author=geogan link=topic=32658.msg374278#msg374278 date=1324937021]
[quote author=JAMIE-TYPERV6 link=topic=32658.msg374264#msg374264 date=1324926572]
Beware it'll destroy your alternator unless you protect it!! Looks well all the same!!
[/quote]

Will it - i'll cover that with tinfoil from now on then. I don't think it'll need powerwashing again for a long time - it just looked like it was never cleaned before this time :naughty:
[/quote]

Yeah it can damage the bearings by drying them out. Best placing a bag over it and tie wrapping it if you intend on doing it again. I used to work in a valet dept of a main dealers a long time ago and it was major no no to get water at high pressure into the alternator. I'd cover any major electrics too such as fuse box and alarm. It's not the sort of thing I'd do to regurlarly unless it's manky dirty.

[quote author=Sweetcakes link=topic=32658.msg374283#msg374283 date=1324939623]
Autosol metal polish, circa €7 in Halfords. Will be effective on all metals, so both steel and aluminium :thumbsup:
[/quote]

I'll get it the next time i'm in there :thumbsup:

[quote author=JAMIE-TYPERV6 link=topic=32658.msg374297#msg374297 date=1324976727]
[quote author=geogan link=topic=32658.msg374278#msg374278 date=1324937021]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Yeah it can damage the bearings by drying them out. Best placing a bag over it and tie wrapping it if you intend on doing it again. I used to work in a valet dept of a main dealers a long time ago and it was major no no to get water at high pressure into the alternator. I'd cover any major electrics too such as fuse box and alarm. It's not the sort of thing I'd do to regurlarly unless it's manky dirty.
[/quote]

Probably won't do it again for a long time but if i do i'll cover it. I was supposed to take the inlet scoop off too so i could wash under and around it but didn't bother in the end - i'm sure a bit of water went down it :whistle:

Great job.

I prefer using a steam washer doing mine rather than power washer. It takes longer but easier controlled so less chance of frying something.

Back