not starting

scoobysub

ISDC Club Member
need some help .when out to start the 95 legacy in the garage today and it wouldn't start battery was dead after 3 or 4 goes of turning it over so i put the jump leads on from the van and still no joy.it kinda ticked over badly when i was pumping the throttle for about 5 sec and the check engine light came on. i have the battery on charge now but when i turn the ignition on the rad fan comes on even though its stone cold anyone any ideas .i usually start it every week or two weeks just to warm it up and keep it right .

hi joe

did you ever try for an fault code and forget to unplug the two connectors apart under the dash, or do the leggy have them??

A totally flat battery can cause all your problems in any car. If charging it does't sort it its a new batery needed.

never tried for any faults johnny or dont know if there are 2 black connecters under there.is there a way i could check :dontknow:.

it should start with another battery eric

[quote author=JOHNNY T link=topic=32603.msg 373551#msg 373551 date=1324224586]
the legacy has um, 2 black 2 green...
[/quote]

connectors :don't know:. should i plug them out and reset them

[quote author=scoobysub link=topic=32603.msg373553#msg373553 date=1324224835]
[quote author=JOHNNY T link=topic=32603.msg 373551#msg 373551 date=1324224586]
the legacy has um, 2 black 2 green...
[/quote]

connectors :don't know:. should i plug them out and reset them
[/quote]

if you didnt know they were there, then there not together joe.

as eric has said, battery is probably fooked but jumping it should have worked, unless the battery is really fooked, which it wont and give you what you said, are you leaving the battery connected when not using the car??how old is the battery??

You said you jumped it. Might still not work if the batt in you car is fucked.

My batt went flat in the frontera the other day for example and engine light was on for about 15 minutes after it had been charge. Gave it a good run and it's grand no but your batt if its old could be your problem. Engine light indicates battery/alternater fault in this case I recon its defo your Battery.

there was new battery in it when i bought it that less that 8 months old .i'm leaving the battery connected but starting it every week cos of the alarm

Regarless how new the battery is... This cold weather can knock the bollix out of them if thd car isn't being used daily. I had a 3 month old battery die on me last year during the snow in a car that was sat up. The twin battery's ... Which where bought new last April... in my partners Pajero went dead in 3 days in the cold weather as she hadnt driven it in awhile too. I'd reckon a new battery should sort all... And I'd buy a trickle charger to keep the new one topped up.

thanks lads going to leave it charge over nite and see what the story is then . car is parked in the garage not being driven jamie just started on weekends and left ticking over but it should have started with a jump start i thought . will see tomorrow evening if its only the battery i.ll buy a trickle charger if so

charged the battery all day, stuck it back in and she fired up first time thanks lads :thumbs up:. still don't know why she wouldn't start with the jump leads . going to get a trickle charger during the week anyone recommend one .thanks again lads

glad you got sorted
maybe the leads werent connected properly and it was still just the leggy battery cranking
or else the leads you have are crap :dontknow:
i use this http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_210939_langId_-1_categoryId_212463
been working very well for me for over 3 years
also when you have it charged
why dont you just disconnect the battery on 1 terminal
and reconnect it when you want
can replace the bolt on the battery terminal for on with a kind of lever to take it on and off
some newer cars have this
we usually do it in work for new cars we have hanging around the place
something like this maybe http://www.performanceplusconnection.com/item--Quick-Release-Battery-Terminal-Connector-Caps-Top-Post--WC20158.html

[quote author=scoobysub link=topic=32603.msg373682#msg373682 date=1324328117]
charged the battery all day, stuck it back in and she fired up first time thanks lads :thumbs up:. still don't know why she wouldn't start with the jump leads . going to get a trickle charger during the week anyone recommend one .thanks again lads
[/quote]

good stuff joe

sometimes even with the jumper they wont start because the battery is so flat

Back