Best aftermarket air intake system for STI?

geogan

Petrolheads
Anyone know which is a good replacement airfilter/intake system. At the moment I just have a K&N panel filter which is in need of replacement. The car was mapped with a HKS superflow filter in it and right now it appears to be running too rich (0.96 lambda) so think need a better filter with more airflow (instead of a remap). What is this about the HKS being a MAF killer on Subarus? Is the HKS racing suction any better than the cheaper superflow or would a K&N Typhoon be better than either. Any other recommendations ? I would be doing remap afterwards so that isn't an issue. Want to get better airflow going - don't like the way it is running lean and appears undepowered even compared to old WRX in 1500-2500RPM non-turbo range...

What is this about the HKS being a MAF killer on Subarus?

I believe if the filter is over oiled it can damage the Maf.

What year is the car? I heard an upgraded panel filter(Cosworth eg) is preferable on Newage model.

yeah the HKS's are killers alright, but they are not oiled like most people think, they are just have TERRIBLE filtration! and i mean TERRIBLE! they are without a doubt the best flowing filter, but thats because they key just about everything through except really large particals, i.e. flies and leaves lol

i killed two MAFs when i had one, now i have an Apexi filter, or you could also get a nice panel filter like a Prova, Zerosports, or Cosworth one, as if your kicking around standard power figures as cone filter just isnt needed!

Apexi or K&N would be a good choice. I had an apexi on my old car and never had an issue with it in over 2 years.

Gonzo, his car is a 2003 sti (warrsters old car).

How do you make out that its not getting enough air through filter and its causing it to run lean??? Do you mean rich?

[quote author=KENC link=topic=32519.msg372553#msg372553 date=1323460504]
How do you make out that its not getting enough air through filter and its causing it to run lean??? Do you mean rich?
[/quote]

Yes I meant too rich - using too much fuel and not enough air. I was just wondering if my oiled-up K&N filter might be causing it.

What would the symptoms of a damaged MAF sensor be anyway so I can check I I have any of them?

[quote author=dohc_turbo link=topic=32519.msg372557#msg372557 date=1323461247]
http://www.rogerclarkmotorsport.co.uk/shop.asp?catsLevel=181
[/quote]

Cosworth kit looks great but it appears to be only for 04+ for some reason - expensive though too. Did they change something in that area between 03 and 04 on Blobeye? The K&N kits look like the cheaper kits - if I went for K&N again I would probably go for the better Typhoon version. Anyone have one? Also with K&N isn't the old "blowing filter oil onto the MAF" problem there again?

The problem isn't with the oil they come with as standard. Problems arise when people try to re-oil them diy style and use way to much which then gets sucked into the maf.

[quote author=Sweetcakes link=topic=32519.msg372563#msg372563 date=1323462728]
The problem isn't with the oil they come with as standard. Problems arise when people try to re-oil them diy style and use way to much which then gets sucked into the maf.
[/quote]

I did re-oil the old K&N panel filter myself using the K&N Filter cleaning kit - i followed instructions and let oil soak into it and dry before using filter again. I might check MAF tomorrow - would I be able to see damage/dirt or is it invisible damage to sensor? Last time I looked at sensor it looks like little glass bulb on a wire.

p.s. I see you have 2012 membership - are they available to buy now? I skipped rest of 2011 because I missed start of it.

If your still running standrad TMIC then stay with an uprated panel filter, Buy a green Cotton Filter.. If you have FMIC then go with an RCM cone Filter and trumpet.

[quote author=KENC link=topic=32519.msg372579#msg372579 date=1323471022]
If your still running standrad TMIC then stay with an uprated panel filter, Buy a green Cotton Filter.. If you have FMIC then go with an RCM cone Filter and trumpet.
[/quote]

Don't understand - how is the intercooler setup relevant to whether you need cone or panel air filter?

I Think ken means that if you have a fmic then the airbox is probably removed.

Anyway I've a green panel filter for over 2 years cleaned and oiled by me.
No problems :thumbsup:

my car didnt like the oiled filters . kept cutting out when idle, maf was oiled up and full of crap.
got the cosworth not a bother since

I'd go panel filter all day long. Unless down the road your planning on big Bhp.

[quote author=Aaron link=topic=32519.msg372665#msg372665 date=1323541106]
my car didnt like the oiled filters . kept cutting out when idle, maf was oiled up and full of crap.
got the cosworth not a bother since
[/quote]

Did you have to clean the MAF then after you changed the filter to Cosworth? Just wondering how you did it...

[quote author=EricRS (ericSTi) link=topic=32519.msg372668#msg372668 date=1323542569]
I'd go panel filter all day long. Unless down the road your planning on big Bhp.
[/quote]

Depends on what you call big - it supposedly maxes out at about 357hp@7500rpm (according to Dyno printouts I have).

Anyway - if I had the money - it would be between:

K&N Typhoon http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/K-N-Typhoon-Intake-Subaru-Impreza-2-0L-WRX-WRX-STI-2000-2007-69-8001TWR-/120726323386?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1c1bd980ba

and

Cosworth http://www.rogerclarkmotorsport.co.uk/shop_detail.asp?productID=2611

induction kits - both look more or less identical with heat shields.

Cosworth is a bit more expensive though...

Don't have the money at the moment though so guess I'll just have to try and check the K&N panel filter and MAF for dirt...

Its very simple.
The tmic isnt a good cooler so you need to have the air coming in as cool as possible to help it, so a cone filter will only suck in hot air from inside engine bay and is not a good idea with TMIC, Standard airbox will take air from the cooler air from the outside and is a help to the TMIC..

Fmic will cool anything really, so it doesnt matter if you take it from inside engine bay or not, the fmic will cool it just the same, so cone filter is no problem to it... SIMPLES

Back