How does this look

Altezza-Dan

Octane Boostaholics
Having some weird cold start misfiring issues( i think its misfiring) car juddering, popping and shaking my head off when try to drive on boost from a cold start, even very low boost, .3, .4 bar. Thought to check the plugs incase they are cold fouled. They are an absolute a paint to change on these Legacys, airbox out and small child like hands required as well as contortionist skills
Got one our and this what it looks like. They are heat grade 7 plugs, on step colder due to running higher boost and few upgraded parts, in since about April. How do you think they look:

IMG_20111206_164221.jpg

IMG_20111206_164226.jpg

IMG_20111206_164232.jpg

IMG_20111206_162923.jpg

Any else ever have any issues changing to a colder plug after some upgrades? I was going to get a new set so just need to decide if i should get the 6's or 7's again to try solve my cold start driving issues.

Anyone know what the NGK ILFR7H should be gapped to for Subaru's?

they do look rather carbonized man! whats the gap in them? and what should it be!? if they are out, maybe gap them right and try again!

ou say they have been in since april? how many miles have you done? i change mine about every 6 months regardless of mileage, but I'm paranoid, and get bored on my days off haha

Every 6 months are you mad? These are long life Iridium plugs and about 3-4 hours work to change them! i doubt you would do them every month if you had this!

So looking at that chart mine are possibly "normal"! Maybe they are just too cold for my car and type of usage

Look ok to me, has it been always this way since you put the 7s in?
7s do run a bit rough on cold start, also combine that with some extra fuel from the cold start on car and it could be just normal cold start with 7s you have, My car wont drive on well at all untill its hot, and if you cut out at cross roads etc etc whilst still warmin it takes a few turns to start, 5 mins down road and its perfect, and its the plugs and extra fuel thats doing it

yes has always done it since the 7's were fitted with the vf36 and other bits, Is there a need for the 7's though in mine? cant see it getting over 360bhp-ish. Only happens when driving car from stone cold as some mornings i dont have time to let it warm up. If its running on the remote start for 5 minutes or so, it drives fine. im not talk about driving the balls off it from cold, simple morning commute spends and any bit of boost for the first 5 minutes and it drives shite

Yea its just the normal 7s running could, can you not live with it?? if you cant then only way is back to 6 im afraid, i dont think it will make a difference but i dont know for sure as its not a commonly done thing after being mapped... you could be the 1st :)

Does the colder running plug not allow advanced timing during mapping? If he went back to 6's, could he be looking at having to get the map checked again to ensure everything is still ok with the 6's in it?

[quote author=KENC link=topic=32492.msg372277#msg372277 date=1323212689]
Yea its just the normal 7s running could, can you not live with it?? if you cant then only way is back to 6 im afraid, i dont think it will make a difference but i dont know for sure as its not a commonly done thing after being mapped... you could be the 1st :)
[/quote]

ye i asked mapper what it would be like back on the 6's just waiting to hear back from him. Probably could live with it and only happens the odd morning i forget to set the remote start. would i be doing any damage driving it when that happens?

Back