High temp

sean typer

Petrolheads
Fitted new rad today as old one seemed to be blocked(was a leak in it anyway) yet the bottom hose is still cold.Watching temp
on power fc got up to 94 on tickover in garage after fitting rad.Fans come on at 92 as they should
(no air con so i have that fan wired to the rad fan).Also fitted new thermostat last week.Pump is only a few months old,its the newer
6 vane type not like the round type that came off it.It was fine last week when i changed the engine.I ran the engine with
cap off so dont think its air locked.Have seen temps around 98 on old engine and rad and the oe gauge never moved passed
halfway.Could someone tell me what kind of temps i should be getting,am i over analysing the situation,though the car does smell
hot.in car heater works fine aswell.Any ideas before i pull off the water pump.Car is v5 type r,cheers.

Yes perfect,no cracks new rubber used.Have my old water pump and the one off froggys engine here so just checking incase
its something else before i remove timing belt for the 1000th time this year :boohoo:
Only drive it about 5km every day so that might not help.Will take it for a good rattle over the mountain now and see what happens.

Ok started off at 39,gradually went up to 91 where it stayed for a spell(this was with 80 - 90km stuff).
Then over mountain(3rd gear stuff)stayed at 93.Eased off going upto house it dropped to 91.
Felt bottom hose no heat whatsoever in it.What should it be running any ideas :dontknow:

i suppose process of ilimanation(spelling?) change rad temp sensor and coolant temp sensor and change the stat then you can rule all them out no cracks in pipes or drawing in air anywer?

Man have you checked the thermostat? Its probably stuck closed if the bottom rad hose is cold.
Also I wouldnt call those water temps overly high

New thermostat,even checked old one and it was fine,coolant switch is fine.If i never got the power fc i wouldnt have even have
noticed it.last month getting mapped nick commented on how hot it was getting.Surley the bottom hose should have a little
bit of heat in it :dontknow:

[quote author=sean typer link=topic=32260.msg369901#msg369901 date=1321384368]
New thermostat,even checked old one and it was fine,coolant switch is fine.If i never got the power fc i wouldnt have even have
noticed it.last month getting mapped nick commented on how hot it was getting.Surley the bottom hose should have a little
bit of heat in it :dontknow:
[/quote]

Yes man it should get hot before the fan kicks in.

[quote author=sean typer link=topic=32260.msg369932#msg369932 date=1321396637]
Thanks for the replys,will give it a good bleeding tomorrow and hope that sorts it :thumbsup:
[/quote]

Out of interest how did you fill it with coolant and what procedure did you use to bleed it before?

Wait for this beauty,got more coolant today,pulled off small hose from rad to header tank,filled until water came out
of the rad and put that hose back on.Started car heater/fan on full and kept topping up header tank until it would take no more.
Could see bubbles alright nothing major.Fans came on at 92 and stayed on,went to 93 and i switched off after 10mins.Bottom hose
cold as usual.Now here is where it gets interesting.Pulled out new stat,checked it with boiling water,and works,so cut out the
middle of one of the other stats,fitted ,filled with water and hey presto,bottom hose warm,rad hot all over,top hose fine etc.Fans
come on at 92 within 30seconds down to 87 fans off.This is how it should always work id imagine.Now for the love of jesus
can anyone tell me why the stats work out of the car but not in the car??
Am i missing something blatently obvious??
They only fit one way,pointy side out and dickie at the top??

Totally bewildered now.Refitted old oem pump and known WORKING NEW thermostat and still same problem.Thermostat will
not open.Oil cooler pipe and 2 heater pipes leaving the pump are too hot to leave your hand on so dont know why the back of
the thermostat is not hot enough to open.Turned off engine when 91 showed on the power fc.
Has anyone any ideas they can throw at me???Cheers.

Back