Knock Link

goosie208

Petrolheads
hey guys!

i have become increasingly paranoid as of late, on two occasions i have seen a un branded, none Maxol fuel tanker filling up the tanks at my local Maxol!

im not going to go into it as we all know by now about E5, but im increasingly paranoid about doing some damage to my car, im on my second engine! my first went a few months after i got the car!

my basic questions are,

1) is it worth it? ie are they actually a good investment ( i know its just a warning tool and not going to save my engine lol)
2) where do i get one from
3) where do you guys fit it (sensor)?

i have seen a thread on Uklegacy on where a guy fitted his sensor, on top the block under the Intercooler, is that right seems a bit easy, and why is the OE knock sensor not there if its an ok place.

thanks chaps!

Knock monitors are very handy to have. I have one myself. Considering getting one of the Phormula KS3 knock analysers as it looks a nice unit.

My knock sensor is currently in the location which you stated (under the intercooler on Cylinder #3). There was a blanking plug there so thats where I fitted it.

http://isdc.ie/discussion/index.php?topic=13995.0

you fitted it on the blanking plug? dont have one, as thats where my oil temp sender is!

didnt think they were that much money though :eek7:

My oil temp sensor is on the left of intercooler. Knock sensor is on the right.

€218 is not bad for a good quality knock sensor.

im thinking on Cylinder 2 then :wall: haha

hmmmmm if i cant find the "knocklink" branded one i may have to go for this that one!

thanks for showing me another brand to look at though Andy! or should you get a Phormula one gimme a shout about maybe buying your old one, sooner rather than later though lol

If I do go for the Phormula KS3 I will be keeping my old one as I built it into the dash.

Knocklink are discontinued afaik.. Those phormula knock analysers are the best out there at the moment i believe..

If you are worried about fuel quality, then when you fill up with juice, do a couple of short runs at half and 3/4 power and you will see the knock levels rising so you will know you're after fillingup with a bad batch.

Back