I/c Spray on my forester?

F

forester sti

Lads does anyone have experiance of retro fitting an I/c spray system??
And does it do anything? You'd think it does because some scoobies have it as standard!
I'm hoping to have her around the 370- 380bhp mark at some stage so it might be an idea!
I'd apreciate your opinions!
Dan

Heres some info on how to do it.

http://www.hrstudios.net/dwyer/icspray/icspray.htm

Here is how to make your own Intercooler water sprayer.
For a lot less $$ then what you would pay if you bought it from STI or another after market Co. First lets start with what you will need. I got all of the stuff from Pep boy's....yeah, i know but at least I was not buying ghetto wheel covers or AC1 clear tail lights LOL.. Except for the micro switch which I got from Radio shack.

You will need:
1. bottle/ windscreen washer reservoir (I used a universal coolant over flow bottle)
2. A windscreen washer motor/ pump ( I used a universal GM model, washer motor)
3. A toggle switch, you know...the on/off switch (your choice here, pick what you like)
4. Wire and connecters
5. Vac. line (about 4 feet)
6. T. Fittings (for the vac. line, plastic ones are fine)
7. A 10 amp micro switch
8. Windscreen washer nozzles (2)
9. Wire loom

Now on to how to install it all.

Ok so here we go, first you will need to find a home for all this stuff.........this is the hard part. I have a Injen C.A.I. so for me I mounted the reservoir tank in-between the intake and the boost control control selnds. (there is just enough room) and then mounted the windscreen washer motor to the side of the motor bay right next to the reservoir tank. You may need to find a diff. location for the reservoir tank if you still have the stock intake.

Next you will need to run the wiring and mount the on/off switch. To do this you run a wire off the + side of the washer motor to the + terminal of the Batt. Then off the - side of the washer motor you will run a wire into the cabin and to the + term. on the micro switch.

You will need to mount the micro switch on the throttle (you may need to make a bracket to hold the switch). Then off the - side of the micro switch run a wire to the + term. on the toggle switch.

You can mount the toggle switch where ever you like, I mounted mine in the console in-between the driver and passenger seat. There is a cut out witch you can pop out. Then you cut a hole to put the toggle switch in. Once you have mounted the toggle switch you need to run a wire off the - term. of the toggle switch to a ground on the chaise of the car.

Now you are done with the wiring part of the install.

Now you need to run the lines and mount the nozzles for the water.

First you run a line from the reservoir tank to the washer motor. Then from the washer motor you run a line to a T. adapter which you should mount up by the hood scoop.

Now you have to drill 2 holes to mount the spray nozzles. You can see on the bottom of the backing plate 2 places to do this. They are both toward the outside of the scoop they angel back away from the scoop. I used a round drill bit and just kept going up in size until I got the right size. It is better to start small then make the holes to big.

Once the holes are drilled and the nozzles mounted you just have to run 2 lines off the T adapter to the spray nozzles.

Now use the wire loom to hide all the wires and you are done. Go back and check all the connections and fittings then fill the tank and you now have a intercooler sprayer that cost you about $50.00 instead of about $300.00

Good man brian! :thumbsup:
But does it make a difference or is it just a gimmick???
Dan

Hello Dan,

I do not think that they are a gimmick. I filled my tank last year and just left it in auto. She used 12lts over 9-10 months and I was not using it manually.

The problem you might have is knowing when to spray it for optimal performance  :ponder:

If you can get a kit with an automatic switch / wiring you should see some benefits on hot days  :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Michael

Hey Dan,
dose it work yes, but would you notice any difference i don't think so :dunno: :dunno:
Most rally lads would give her 3 - 4 blast's on the start line just to give her a little
extra kick .............. after that as Michael said leave it in auto.

I've often tried this at the lights or just from a standing start but you would want to have one
sensitive ass to notice any difference :D :D

Niall.

I had mine on auto down in Mondello and used a full water tank , well the light was on after 3 laps, must be doin SOME good :)

[quote author=dermo w link=topic=3721.msg37913#msg37913 date=1190388083]
hey brian
How did you get to know so much about intercooler sprays? :dunno: :ponder:

Cheers
Dermow :D
[/quote]

You!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

i think tractorman did one on his car dan,and he does a few trackdays,maybe he can help you

o and dan,its for trying to keep your car at normall driving temp when your giving it welly or on the track,it wont make it any faster or up the horses ,but will help keep the temp down which is obviously a good thing and it does work,why would subaru fit them otherwise,it helped me on the scooby shoutout trip when i got a leak in my rad,i stuck it on auto and it keep temp down grand

Back