my boost is wrong

B4 soon

Petrolheads
fitted a boost gauge yesterday to see what figures I got and im overboosting on primary (16psi) and underboosting on secondary (14psi).. The primary overboosting explains the fuel cut I had under load in 5th but whats causing this?

going to reply here as i cant be bothered opening up UKL lol

are the lines how you got them? or have you tinkered??

i trust you have inspected the lines around the primary turbo? (not sure of the numbers on a rev d but on mine its 10 and 23) check them for splits! as if 23 has a split in it then the vacuum created by the wastegate duty solenoid will escape and will bleed out, and if there is no or very little force acting on the wastegate actuator it wont open, so you get BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIG boost!

just a thought that came to me,

maybe change the lines around it just to rule it out! (i can supply you with some if you have none and cant be arsed buying any!)

if its not that then just put your standards back on! as you are case and point evidence that redoing the lines is not a good idea

Chris

Day off tomorrow Chris and intend doing exactly as youve said-all hoses around primary coming off for inspection and cleaning.Have some spare here off 99 one I broke for parts.

All lines and pipes around primary turbo removed,inspected and tested for leaks and cleaned today,solenoid box also removed,all pipes cleaned and blown through. Still overboosting! Effing annoying.

i know this isnt fixing, but you could place a larger diameter resrictor in line 23 t-piece next to the turbo outlet nipple!

you have .8mm restrictor in now, if you put in a 1mm restrictor you will have less restriction, more air pressing on the actuator so less boost, this wont fix the cause per say but it will stop the over boost and stop any damage!

that gives me and idea! what size is in it now? its not forced to be .8mm, if someone has played before you could have a .6mm in there causing massive boost! i have a load of .6's here (trying to fix my UNDER boost) so they arent hard to come buy!

just thoughts :thumbsup:

Just been wondering today-what senses the boost pressure and tells the actuator to open the wastegate. As in how does the actuator know when .8 bar is reached?

off my head

the wastegate duty solenoid in the near side wing, is what "controls" the wastegate! is as much that its that what opens and closes very fast and pulses air down the line to the actuator, but does that sense boost? i dont know?

i think the ECU senses the boost, (via what im not sure??) then sends current to the WDS to increase or retard the actuator pulses ( increasing or decreasing boost)

line 11 maybe, that goes from the manifold and sends boost and vacuum pressures to the MAP sensor in the Solenoid box?? maybe it gets its signal from there??? its the only line i can think that takes manifold pressures to the solenoid box!

i think your problem may lie with the WDS, the actual actuator, solenoid box internals, and as i said maybe but not too likley, the restrictor pill in line 23

have you tried taking off the turbo/actuator tpiece line (line 23) and running a solid line from turbo nipple to actuator to see if you get the .5 bar boost pressure preset (for lack of a better phrase lol)

this was you take away ANY ECU and WDS control and you can cross off the actuator, as if you still get big boost with this, you will have a possible sticky actuator perhaps

OH as in Blanchardstown!? haha couldn't be further away man! im in Clare lol

do you not think you can do it man?? is it a electrical or mechanical gauge?

hey goose didnt you get solenoid box and few bits from lads in uk (nutbeam) any problems? he changed my lines to 3mm, anyway i get fuel cut in fifth gear if going uphill, i know thats weird but he said its normal plus im throwing up diff error code. two months after getting it done clutch started slipping, i think but only when boosting in twin and it throws a code up too. thats why i aint on here anymore, cant bear to even look at the thing in my garden anymore. afraid to get clutch and it not being the problem.

anyway its dong the same as b4soon and celtic 03 and its only in fifth.

hey Jay, if you want to talk send me and email! just add @hotmail.com to my username! :thumbsup:

not writing it properly as i put it on here a few days ago and i am now getting spammed to BEJESUS!!!!!!!

@B4soon! any news/progress brother??

Havent got around to it yet. Mine is definitely overboosting on primary,which would cause fuel cut,and the reason it will only happen in 5th is that thats the only gear its in for long enough to get the fuel cut. Any other gear and it'll be gone past 4k rpm before it cuts. Its NOT normal for the car to do this-as if subaru would let a car out of the factory that does this!!! I think the primary wastegate actuator is not behaving as it should.

Back