Speedometer conversion to metric

geogan

Petrolheads
Hi,

Does anyone know if it is possible to convert a speedometer from MPH/KPH to just KPH on an STI.

I'm sick of trying to figure out what speed I am doing and the KPH being in tiny writing on the inside circle with the MPH being in big text on the outside circle of speedo. I want just KPH in big text on the outside circle :wall:

How much would this conversion be to do or is it possible at all?

should be able to swap a set of mph clocks to kmph fairly handy , pick up a second hand set from Froggys , only problem would be wrong mileage would be shown but think they can be reprogrammed :thumbsup:

Froggys??? Who's that?

All I want is the actual numbers on the speed circle to swap places so Kilometers are on outside instead of inside and so are the big numbers. How would this make the mileage wrong somewhere? I would still want to leave the trip counter/total mileage driven in MPH...

Actually the second link shows perfectly what to swap over .

As far as i know the mileage shown on the new clocks would be relevant to the car they came from and would need to be calibrated to show the miles on your car ,

Oh right so I'd have to buy a whole new gauge cluster that was in metric and then somehow change what it displayed for mileage to what mine is now. So I guess the new mileage would be in Kms then too which would be a much bigger number - don't like sound of that. Sounds like a big expensive job to do then. It's a pity you can't just slide out the MPH display disc at the back like a tax disc and slide a KPH one down in it's place! I guess that's one advantage of the Jap imports having KPH instead of my UK Type STi with it's old MPH...

ps. this sounds like a perfect way for dodgy types to clock mileage on cars without a proper service history... somehow I don't feel the 120k on my old WRX is too accurate but i could be just being paranoid...

Dont know how much you'd pick up a set for but couldn't imagine it would be overly expensive , Give froggy a bell , subaru salvage in the traders area !

Doesn't the speed needle get it's input from a sensor on the gearbox?

Wouldn't that sensor have to be changed too to display an accurate speed in KPH if the clocks are changed?

[quote author=AndyC link=topic=31970.msg366894#msg366894 date=1318893875]
Doesn't the speed needle get it's input from a sensor on the gearbox?

Wouldn't that sensor have to be changed too to display an accurate speed in KPH if the clocks are changed?
[/quote]

new age can stright swap mph or kph speedos and read perfect.

Aren't the MPH/KPH and mileage wrong anyway if you change from say 17" tyres to 18" tyres? For every single rotation of an 18" type you are going slightly faster and further than a 17".... over 50,000 miles I'm sure that margin of error is a lot isn't it? :dontknow:

generally when ya change from 17's to18's the tyre wall profile would be reduced to allow a comparable rolling radius between the two . so shouldnt affect anything .

Even though the change of profile Tommy brings down the radius of the tyre... They generally still have a larger rolling circumference.

[quote author=John L. link=topic=31970.msg366961#msg366961 date=1318962293]
I Would love to change my kph to mph is there a way to do that cheers.
[/quote]

Maybe a set speedos from a uk model 3.0l legacy same year as yours john

Back