WHAT WINTER TYRES...?????

JAMIE-TYPERV6

Octane Boostaholics
Hey All,

I'm gonna stick a set of winter tyres on the standard 16's I have on the wagon as the paint on em is in sh*t so don't mind them being my winter wheel now... and I've spare 17's going on it for fair weather driving next spring.

Current tyres are shocking in the snow... and if we get even half the sh*t weather we had last winter then I figure it's worth getting winter tyres.

Anyone any experience with winter tyres...??? Any good brands. I'm not spending a fortune and have been looking at the following Falkens...

http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?details=Ordern&cart_id=78769160.124.19336&typ=R-184201&ranzahl=4&Breite=205&Quer=50&Felge=16&Speed=H&weiter=10&Ang_pro_Seite=10&Transport=P&dsco=124&sowigan=Wi

Don't really want to spend more than 100 a corner.

Anyone any experience with these. :dontknow:

I have Nankangs on my spare wheels, only bad thing about the cheaper winter brands is they are not so good in warmer weather, i had mine on for a few days in 15-18 degree weather and they were very slidey and mushy, they are great in snow though, no problems with them. They out perform any summer tyre below 7 degrees. I got a set for 300 fitted last winter for the Nankang SV2's 205/50/17 should be cheaper for your 16's

Cheers Dan... how do you find them in just our usually crappy wet weather...??? I've been looking at these too as they are a good deal cheaper than Falkens on Eire tyres.

once the temperatures are below 10 and your not driving around mondello they are grand! i got them supplied and fitted locally for that price

They don't appear to be as cheap as Eire tyres Keith... especially by the time you take into account the shipping costs too.

I don't pay the vat on them jamie sorry forgot to say that so that place might be cheaper.
Always use them and always arrive about 2 days after order

My brother in law put on Goodyear winter tyres day on 16 inch rims, 110 sterling each, he got them in newry, great looking tyre :thumbsup:

Cheers Joe... Gonna try stick to 100 euro mark as I also need to get good tyres for the 17's I have. Got my eye on Toyo Proxes 4 for them. Always heard good things bout Toyos.

Nokian Hakkapeliitta (not sure if they have studless options) or Bridgstone Blizzak would be my options for Winter tyres.
Blizzak is extremely good on ice even if they are studless. All because rubber is mega soft. Of course this is a big question when u consider buying these for "Irish" winter. On tarmac u will destroy them pretty fast. Very very soft rubber.

Have seen and felt those fancy nokians. They are crazy things. I'd say they perform unbelievably well. A very soft compound even when comparing to other winter tires

Not after strictly snow tyres though lads... I just want a decent set of winter tyres that perform well in our poxy wet climate and be better than all season tyres when it snows.

Then maybe consider these two options which Milo told me: redestein quatrac 3 or nokian wr g2
Not a winter tyre, but from the look and reviews those could do the job for you

[quote author=JAMIE-TYPERV6 link=topic=31969.msg366902#msg366902 date=1318923407]
Not after strictly snow tyres though lads... I just want a decent set of winter tyres that perform well in our poxy wet climate and be better than all season tyres when it snows.
[/quote]

for the irish winters Jamie i think the Nankangs will do you grand. you could borrow mine for a few days and see what you think, its getting close to the temperature where these start being useful

[quote author=Altezza-Dan link=topic=31969.msg366910#msg366910 date=1318929125]
[quote author=JAMIE-TYPERV6 link=topic=31969.msg366902#msg366902 date=1318923407]
[/quote]

for the irish winters Jamie i think the Nankangs will do you grand. you could borrow mine for a few days and see what you think, its getting close to the temperature where these start being useful
[/quote]

Cheers for the offer Dan... you're very kind. :thumbsup: TBH... I reckon I'll just buy a set soon. Front tyres are getting a little thin and like washing out a lot when you push hard at the mo. :shock2: Last thing I need is to bin the car. Cold weather too has me keen to sort them soon too. Thanks again.

Back