KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK

sean typer

Petrolheads
Engine on the way out lads,after sourcing a newage short block.Is it oe v5 headgaskets and bolt the buggers to the good engine?
Anything else i should know,re-use head bolts etc etc.Cheers :subaru:

The joys of it :new_puppy_dog_eyes:
Anyone have a part no for headgaskets fitting v5 heads to v7/8 block
Doing alot of googling but need to be sure,Cheers lads :subaru:

[quote author=sean typer link=topic=31860.msg365603#msg365603 date=1317891675]
The joys of it :new_puppy_dog_eyes:
Anyone have a part no for headgaskets fitting v5 heads to v7/8 block
Doing alot of googling but need to be sure,Cheers lads :subaru:
[/quote]

I am fairly sure they do man, maybe give Dave a pm

You would probably be best order from a Newage chassis number. Or better again get Cometic or Cosworth gaskets and set of ARP or Cossie headstuds, make sure to get heads skimmed if needed, and also worthwhile getting your valves lapped in and shimmed... i know it adds to cost, but if possible id do it all when you have her stripped. Make sure also not to use your old Modine from fukd engine

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Subaru-Impreza-Turbo-2-0-Cometic-1-3mm-MLS-Head-Gaskets-/280735065706?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item415d1d266a
Importcarparts
I have bought a good bit of stuff from these, Timing gear, belts, etc etc. They do Arp and Cometic and standard gaskets aswell

Id replace the gasket with the standard thickness

Cheers for that,put new 11mm oil on a month ago,will i take it apart and give it a good clean?thanks again

Be very carefull with the oil pump, i had an engine failure a while back, bit more nasty than yours as it was a Conrod break so had plenty of debri... But on first inspection the oil pump looked ok, had the odd bit of aluminium stuck to the rotor, but when i removed the releif valve its was marked and the bore was marked aswell, it was an Rcm pump hich has a harder Releif valve, so just be carefull, i know my failure was a more dirty one than yours but triple check it as last thing you want is your valve to get stuck open

Thanks for the advice ken :thumbsup: From what i have seen the oe gasket on th ej207 is 0.6,if anyone could confirm that it
would be great :subaru:

at the rate these classic engines are going down, newage is the way to go for anyone looking to buy a subaru.
2 classic engines went in my area in the last months too.

I wouldnt be suprised at standard impreza engines going on track days.. imo you are asking for trouble doing track time without at least a Baffle plate fitted, The flat 4 is a real bad engine for oil surge, considering the short height oil has to be pushed before it has a horizontal plain in cylinders to flow out and get trapped

[quote author=KENC link=topic=31860.msg365704#msg365704 date=1317937649]
I wouldnt be suprised at standard impreza engines going on track days.. imo you are asking for trouble doing track time without at least a Baffle plate fitted, The flat 4 is a real bad engine for oil surge, considering the short height oil has to be pushed before it has a horizontal plain in cylinders to flow out and get trapped
[/quote]
i think thats only relevent for classics cause i did a rebuild on a 03 wrx few weeks back and there were two baffles in the sump and a splash plate bolted up under the crank on the block,i think the classics dont have that i could be wrong though....

Not really man, there is only the one thing on the block and thats a windage tray and its baffling capabilities are fairly crap tbh really and all the sumps are the same apart from twinscrolls.
If you look at my Baffle plate in my project thread, that is around the minimum you want really if going on a track day fairly regular, there a relatively cost friendly fix, and a fairly diy fit for most.
If someone is in any way familar with a track or just a good pilot have good rubber etc etc, Fast long sweeping bends are not good for scoobies.

Between whats up around engine as normal, the oil being pushed up wall of sump and into the cylinders, couple that with oil in head thats finding it hard to return to sump as its being pressed against the cam cover on one bank.. also some oil going up into breathers on cam covers, its easy to see how the flat 4 is more vunrable compare to a vertical standing engine and that there might not always be enough oil available at pick up to be picked up and explains why so many flat 4s can go bang on track
It would be just be my standing that i wouldnt like doing track days without a baffle plate

Just a little update,im motoring again knock free,thanks froggy :thumbsup:
Split old engine yesterday and sure enough was after rubbing away copper on #3 and was just starting to rub away at #4
Wondering in future would it be worth forging it maybe 2.1 etc as it seems a shame to dump it :ponder2:
Cheers lads :subaru:

Back