Loud metal snapping sound from underneath...

geogan

Petrolheads
I was driving slowly on quays and was turning right over a bridge when I heard an awful loud metal snap sound coming from somewhere underneath car as it turned onto bridge. I stopped and checked underneath after that but didn't see anything hanging off. I drove it the rest of the way into work (maybe less than 1km) and noticed some rattling sounds. The car still drives and steers ok. What the hell has broken now? :icon_mad: I've never heard a noise like that before. Not like strut clunking sound. This was like metal breaking. How could turning slowly to the right cause a break like that?

These are all good suggestions but I haven't found cause yet and I don't like noises like that coming from car.

It actually happened again, not as loud but same sort of noise, on way home so that would lessen likelihood of something breaking once, but more of a seizing and quick releasing of something.

I actually checked under car in garage before I drove home and couldn't see anything broke/hanging down around rear suspension :ponder2:, and the car appears to drive and handle normally apart form these occasional loud cracks :ponder:

I have an NCT on Thursday morning so I'm hoping that they find the problem (i am resigned to the fact that I am failing on emissions anyway so another 4 months of driving around without any NCT :boohoo:)

Anyone know how to diagnose what it is without a ramp or somewhere I could go where someone knows what they're looking at ie. not backstreet general mechanic/garage?

[quote author=JAMIE-TYPERV6 link=topic=31824.msg365344#msg365344 date=1317726921]
You got coilovers...?
[/quote]

Yes it's fitted with BC Racing coilovers. I did notice the rear right one the rubber dust jacket was hanging up off the top a bit (i could see the actual silver piston) but can't imagine how it would make a noise like that.

It may be one or both of the front springs "loading up" under when turning and then popping under pressure... which can be very common with coilover suspension. It would give you that loud metal popping sound you're hearing. Only thing is that those BC Racing coilovers have a bearing mounted upper spring platform which is meant to prevent this. Try turning in tight circles and see if it happens.... it might be your answer. :thumbsup:

OK i'll keep an ear out for it when i do roundabouts from now on, but the thing is i use loads of roundabouts every day going in and out of work at various speeds and never heard anything like it.

Do these BC coilovers need any greasing or anything on the shaft to stop "sticking" if that's what it is?

I hope if something DID snap underneath that the NCT mechanics in Fonthill do their job and find it, although I wouldn't bet my house on it because they never noticed a non-functioning speedometer in a Renault i once passed an NCT for... :hammerhead:

Back