Disc build up

Altezza-Dan

Octane Boostaholics
so my front discs look like this after track Day:

IMG_20110927_153235.jpg

What's the best way to clean them up. Brakes feel spongy and not as sharp as before. Sand the pads or discs maybe?

They look scorched from heat Dan. Are they pitted or still smooth all along the face of the disc?

Wire brush/steel wool to clean them up maybe or brake cleaner?

Its most likely the pads , take them out and give them a light filing. Also bleed the brakes you might have boiled the fluid

so i got a chance to take out pads today and have a look, they were pretty glazed alright. There is still a good bit left on the pads about 9mm.

But you can see the state of them here:

IMG_20111003_132037.jpg

top one as it came out of the caliper, bottom one after i filed off the glaze. Make sure you wear protective goggles and mask when doing this as the dust gets everywhere! Hopefully with the pads cleaned up the discs will clean up aswell. So looking at the pads are these the same shape found in brembo's? Just wondering what to replace them with for fast road use and something that also has good bite when cold. Hearing good things about the EBC bluestuff. I wont be getting the Ferrodo's again anyway

Sounds like you have air in the brakes Dan from boiling the fluid and causing air bubbles.. track days are tough going on road cars that are not set up for the abuse.. I think EBC are over rated myself

what's the best way to get air out of the system so ken? what would be good replacements for the ferodo's then instead of going for ebc's? something great on road cover all situations and the odd track day blast?

I've done 3 trackdays now and a sh1t load of road miles with Godspeed alloy bell 2piece grooved discs, Carbone Lorraine rc6 pads,
pads have still plenty of meat left, the grooves got completely worn out of the disc the last trackday :icon_grin: but i still have sharp brakes :cool:
imo rc6's are savage, people complain about how noisy they are but i think the performance they give far outweigh the squealing :thumbsup:

[quote author=Nic Spec C link=topic=31795.msg365293#msg365293 date=1317679410]
I've done 3 trackdays now and a sh1t load of road miles with Godspeed alloy bell 2piece grooved discs, Carbone Lorraine rc6 pads,
pads have still plenty of meat left, the grooves got completely worn out of the disc the last trackday :icon_grin: but i still have sharp brakes :cool:
imo rc6's are savage, people complain about how noisy they are but i think the performance they give far outweigh the squealing :thumbsup:
[/quote]
Still lots left on mine, more than half.probably my own fault for not letting them cool down properly.

last years trackday i fitted new bluestuff pads and that eve went home steel on steel,great pad but didnt last so this year after hearing everybody goin on about carbone lorraine i decided to try them so fitted a new set of rc6 pads and guess what :wall:went home steel on steel so i think the only way is to fit bigger brakes that are able to scrub off the speed but still stay together due to more leverage standard brakes cant hack track driving imo

There is very little wear on my ferodo's after the tracksay.maybe 1 or 2mm at most. Listened to a few youtube clips of impressed with CL Rc6s now way i could live with that squealing. Supposedly the rc5+ are good enough for road and track and doesn't wear as quick and is easier on the discs

Id probably give Ian Godney a ring and ask him Dan, tell him what the story is..
If it were me.. id consider its a 99% road car with 1% track use.. so id have 2 sets of pads.. have a good set of normal road pads.. and a set of track pads, that way you wont have to listen to the squeeling :) I would swap out the fluid for Dot 5, and fit braided hoses..
Out of interest did you notice your clutch get a soft?

You may bleed the brakes Dan, its simple to do, you will need someone with you so get someone that has done it before that can show you first time around... Upgrading the fluid will prevent this happening again, and the braided hoses will stop the rubber pipes swelling with heat and you loosing brake pressure.

So be good idea to do all at once ifyou plan on taking ny advice, swap lines and fluids at same time and bleed it

already have braided lines ken and 5.1 fluid, might try bleed them and see does that help, discs have cleared up since i filed the glaze off the pads. i didnt notice clutch getting soft

dan i have rc8s forsale that fit brembos

i would only use these for track but they are unreal.

Back