Just joined

M

Matt

Hi all
Bought my first Subaru on monday and am hooked already. Its a jap sti type R 98 model.
Im using octane booster but do i still need to get it mapped?
Does this mean buying a new ecu too?
Read on the forum about maxol's new fuel. Will this alone save remapping?

Sorry about all the questions just im very protective of my new pride and joy as you can expect.
Cheers

Hi Matt welcome along..congrats on the new scooby...good choice...yep you will still need a re-map,no you will not need a new ecu,yours is mappable...as for the maxol fuel..well think it not looking good for us,
As for the mapping side i would get yourself a de-cat down pipe if you donrt already have one,up rated fuel pump and then your good to go.. :thumbsup:

Welcome along Matt, Your car can get an ECUTEK Remap so no need for replacement ECU. Where not to sure about the Maxol fuel yet. If you type mapping or ecutek into the search engine you should get some info.

Damo

welcome matt,i too have a 98 sti type r v5,is yours v4 or v5,at the moment there is a bit of confuesion about the maxol fuel,if the car can take this fuel or not,this fuel plus booster should be ok for no remap,BUT! i would still go for a remap and a few small mods and you will see a big difference in preformance and you can still map for maxols fuel plus booster and the car will be very happy running on about 101 octane.

it depends weather your car is v4 or v5 weather you need a new ecu for mapping,v4 does,v5 doesnt

lads am i right in saying this,i might be getting confused with the v3 on ecus for mapping

Sorry for some reason I thought you had a Ver 5 or 6 when I first read your post. As above only Ver 5 + 6 can get ecutek.

Damo

Welcome along Matt.
Plenty of boys on this forum that know their stuff about Subarus, so you came to the right place for advice.

Enjoy the site and your new Subaru.

Graham

Thanks everybody for your replys

This is gonna sound silly but I THINK my car is a version 5. Its like a charcoal grey colour and has a huge wing like one of the thunder birds vehicles.
Am i right that these features are specific to the version 5? Or is there any other way of telling?

Really lookin forward to gettin everything sorted so i dont need to be afraid of engine damage.

Thanks again everyone
Matt

Back