Water Injection

E

elusiveguy

Does anyone on here run a water injection system on a daily or regular driver??

I'm looking at a system for a Legacy B4 but would like to find out more about the running costs of it, price of methanol, sources, quantities used etc....

Thanks guys!!

is it not generally isopropanol?? 50/50 water and methanol??

Doesent have to be as far as I know. Pat was saying that even water alone would help. Most people wouldent want the hassle of having Methonol. If you could get something like the Spec C water tank in the boot it would be good.

my old lad is good friends with a plastics manufacturer so I'll probably rey to get him to fabricate something....

water injection is around as long as people wanted to go fast, it was originaly used i think in the jaguar engines of ww1 or 2 spit fighter air craft and then was used back in the days when formula 1 was a real sport and not a computer game, the big bhp days of turbo f1 cars was enabled by water injection, it is currently used in wrc cars i beleive. you can use just water or various mixture, just water would be perfect for every day use, it is recond it can drop inlet charge temps by a massive 40 to 50% and aquamist have about 4 different types of systems to choose from. cheapest is aroun 800 euro and is boost activated via a sensor plumbed to inlet and set at say 1bar, most exp is the fully mappable system, which the likes of gems, motec , autronic ecu will run and there is a system that monitors injector flow rate and adds water at a set water to fuel ratio, increasing with more throttle. i would love to see someone in ireland use it to see its results with our fuel

I was just talking to Gary Emmett (WRC mechanic) there and he said water injection is very effect nad was used on all WRC cars until last year when it was banned along with active diffs. The Impreza WRC used its TAG software to control its water injection.

I would have thought a good TMIC or FMIC would be more than enough to control inlet temps and that water injection was only really the preserve of seriously high HP turbo cars? It just seems like a very expensive way to keep inlet temps down :dunno:

Frawls

Its not just that, with the water injection mapped and being injected at a preset boost level you can map more advance and lower the level of detonation. Mapped up properly it could / should be a huge benefit for us with our crap fuel.

There are a few but I reckon ill be going with one of the Aquamist systems.

Damo

I reckon I'll chance a devils own kit...

Renno, what AFRs should a b4 run?

[quote author=elusiveguy link=topic=3639.msg36827#msg36827 date=1189796090]
I reckon I'll chance a devils own kit...

Renno, what AFRs should a b4 run?
[/quote]

Yeh it seems a decent kit, im looking at that one now aswell. Not sure on the AFR's to be honest, It's suppose to run rich if its not mapped for it. Other thing is calcium from the water blocking injectors. Demineralised water could stop this. Im at the really early stages with this as Ive never looked at it before. Another issue is if its mapped for it an you run out of water you are FOOKED. But a nice big Spec C water tank in the boot should do it.

Damo

how much will that set a fella back tho??

Can pat definitely work with the devils own set up?

It'd be very easy to set up warning light at half full or something so that doesn't bother me too much....

Ah yeh if the biggest problem is making sure there's water in the tank it aint an issue. Ill be asking Pat next week when he's here.

Surely a good IC whether TMIC or FMIC would do the job just as effectively for less money? The WRC cars use water injection because they run at 4 bar which is around 3 times what a stage 2 impreza or Legacy will run. I wonder if anyone on Scoobynet is using the water injection or whether Andy Forrest has come mapped for it before?

Frawls

The intercoolers do reduce the charge temp but with this you could add water when you want or when there is DET at high load.

Pat wasent sure about the Devil kit as he hasent seen one in the flesh, He knows the Aquamist work well and Prodrive used them when it was allowed.

There might not be any need for it now with the Maxol fuel. Where going to do a couple B4's in Nov with new Maxol fuel and maybe Lucas aswell. Pending that the fuel is what they say it is.

Damo

Back