info on uk 5th gear on a type r

gersti

Petrolheads
any info on the above i was lookin into doin a 6speed conversion on my type r but its mad money and was told that i need to buy a diff controller so was talkin to a fella today he said a bug eye 5th gear be the job in my type r currently its screamin at 3500rpm in 5th at 100kph with the bug eye 5th he reckons be down to 2200rpm he did a few of them im strongly thinkin of doin this and keepin my other gears low as they are and have 5th for cruisin on motorways and that :thumbsup:

I gather a few lads have done this conversion on here. Talk to Ciaran in ASD... I'm sure he can give you some advice! It's a great mod to a Type R as they are very hard to live with at motorway speeds with the low gearing! I used to find mine unbearable at times on long trips.

AFAIK you do not necessarily need a diff controller if you wanted to run 6 speed dccd on your type r which is already set up for dccd. Jptypera has 6 speed dccd running off his standard type r set up through the clocks. Think you only need to switch 2 wires around in the block connector for it to work.

i had it done in my type r, good mod and help on the motorway but i would only do it if i had to take the box out to do clutch or something.

it would be costly as you would have to strip the box, buy a 5th gear and the cost of droping and fitting the box again.

@ sweetcakes i was onto froggy about a 6speed dccd conversion he said i need a diff controller to work i tought was jus a bolt in job eohen mine already has dccd :dontknow:
@ duffman i need to get a stage 2 exedy so doin the 2 together johnny in killucan quoted me 300 for a bug eye 5th gear supplied and fitted im takin the box out and droppin it off to him
@ dagnut yeah its jus 2 low ideal for track or back roads but motorway no mate has a v4 better geared bit longer ratio

Well i fitted a 6spd DCCD and it was just plug and play and play and play :icon_grin:
Dont waste your money on the 5th gear, it would be absolute madness to open a box and not give it a freshen up when you are in there and this will cost money so if you way up what you would spend... what you will get to sell your own box and add them together it will be a good chunk of the 6spd conversion price.. Remeber aswell keeping the 5spd you should really be limiting your power to under 400/400. Also worth thinking of the fact a nice factory feel 6spd clutch will hold alot more torque than its 5spd equiv, so instead of a hard 5spd clutch to hold 450 you can have a oem 6spd

so it jus plugs straight into the existin loom ken thats handy so no messin i need box diff clutch flywheel linkages and prop for the conversion hubs and shafts work off the type r

As long as your car has the fat rear shafts it will be straight forward.. I was told the same that plug in the 6spd to Type r and it would blow Diff ecu, but checked with guys in UK and they said no problem, so thats what i did, just plugged it in, job done.
If you can get all from the one car, rear diff, prop, gearbox, cradle, gearstick and linkage, Flywheel and starter. make sure also the gearbox loom comes with the box.
I got a Hawkeye box, and the shafts are different on the front, the gear box is female and shafts are male.. where on Classic its opposite, you have stubs sticking out of box(male) and drive shaft fits up on the stubs (female)
But if you do get a newer box like this its only a matter of getting adapter shafts, 80 quid off top my head.. that way you can use your own shafts... If you can try get a UK box, Grearing will be a bit longer than Jap

Maybe you can use some other diff that will allow you to keep the skinny shafts, if not you may change the rear end to v5 v6 one

mayb ill look into it :thumbsup: did u notice much of a difference with the 6 speed and wat difference in power and ratio compare to the 5

I unfortunetly cant say man, i got about 300miles running in a clutch and then broke a conrod. Id say gearing would be similar to a 4dr v5 v6 STI

Just wondering if you fitted the longer 5th ger and what you think of it?
Also anyone know where i could get the longer gears as i might try it myself :subaru:

We done a few uk 5th conversions on 5spd type r DCCD boxes. Works a treat on motorway etc and does drop revs a bit as expected..

But only prob i personally find is when driving hard in 4th and shift to 5th it is noticable, as in a drop where i find annoying. But tolerable.

6 speed Conversion is plug and Play re dccd v5/6

Back