EGR delete

murf8969

Sunday Drivers
alri lads been researching a egr delete for a while just wonderin if any of you technical minded people have seen this or done it ive seen arguments for and against it!seems like an easy mod to do,its ment to cool the air comein in, better idle, and no black exhaust gunk in your manifold! and if you leave it plugged in theres no cel problem,from what i read!cheers

They are the appendix of the diesel engine... Completely pointless and unecessary! They work well when new to control emissions but become nothing more than a nuisance with age! I've deleted the EGR on my other halfs Pajero and it runs so much better!! I spoke to a few diesel mechanics who apparently block them off on all older diesels that they get in!!

so i assume the same principal applies to petrol engines?ive read that there useless on modern engines because they already have lots of emission control like 2 02 sensors 2 cats ect,mite give it a go,in the long run though would it effect the nct?

I always thought EGR where more specific to diesel engines... I wasn't aware that many petrol engine cars run them.

What car do you have?

You can clean them out with carb cleaner... which is an option rather than removing it and blocking it off. The only reason it'll affect the NCT is if the emissions rise with it's removal but if it's faulty it'll probably only improve emissions by removing it. I have been warned that the old trick of pulling off the vacuum pipe can be spotted by the odd eagle eyed NCT tester and failed accordingly... a good trick is to simply block off the vacuum pipe with a ball bearing which prevents the EGR from working and to the eye makes it look standard.

Back