00 Legacy Gtb Fault code 66

BazGF8

OG Wagan
ISDC Club Member
A mate picked up a clean legacy gtb, drove perfect on the test drive , I drove it then the owner of the car drove it. On the way home however engine light came on , I did a fault reading and it showing the dreaded code 66 (as I have been reading on the various legacy forums)
Problem with Twin turbo setup apparently so I checked most of the visable vac lines and lifted the plastic cover around the altenator and there was a solenoid to the left with a green top with 2 ports on it , the top port was broken and the vac line just not connected to anything and the bottom hose was to large to get a good seal, so as a temporary measure I changed that hose and plastic welded the top port, refited the solenoid and reset the ecu.
The car drove alot better and was idling lower than before, no lights for a few hours but it has come back again.

Anybody have experience with this? I remember when I had my leggy back in '08 dagnut knew a lot about them.

Would like a diagram for the vac lines if possible

Vac lines and solenoids in the solenoid box are probably clogged with crap. Clean each one out with carb cleaner and retry or else fit new 3mm silicone hose. Be very careful to replace each one in the correct position.

Baz, get onto Goosie on here, when i got my leggy I had the same issue and he was kind enough to actually come down the country and help me fix it! He knows quite a lot about these cars and is sound to boot!

[quote author=Sweetcakes link=topic=31389.msg360822#msg360822 date=1314193568]
Vac lines and solenoids in the solenoid box are probably clogged with crap. Clean each one out with carb cleaner and retry or else fit new 3mm silicone hose. Be very careful to replace each one in the correct position.
[/quote]

Cheers Robbie

[quote author=MrMagoo link=topic=31389.msg360832#msg360832 date=1314204502]
Baz, get onto Goosie on here, when i got my leggy I had the same issue and he was kind enough to actually come down the country and help me fix it! He knows quite a lot about these cars and is sound to boot!
[/quote]

Will do man cheers

so then!! the code 66!! woohoo! oh the joys!! answer me this,

when the code came on, were you in secondary or primary? or during the VOD?
are ALL your lines standard?? all have numbers on etc????

that silly little green topped valve is the "tree hugger valve" totally useless and wont have thrown that code im afraid,

Robbie is right! your lines are most likely a little clogged this may have thrown the code! give then a clean for good measure! may seem like a funny question but how much oil is in the engine? if its over full (only takes a coke can too much) you can clog the vac lines up with oil! and you can get the dreaded 66!

not trying to disrespect you Robbie, i know you know your stuff, but i would tend to say dont change your lines! the main reason is (and some people disagree and thats fine) go feel your standard lines, they are pretty solid, and the walls are thick! then look at the silicone lines most people put in (including me :new_puppy_dog_eyes: ) thin walls and are very squidgy! two very different lines. why would Subaru use hard (ish) lines???? im sure they tried alot off different lines in the factory, why would they go for those if they weren't the best???

chasing a 66 is a total deotch! as if its any other code you just need to find out what it is and replace the broken part (in an ideal world) there are so many things that can trigger it!

have you gone into "limp mode"

but for now look at your oil! and tell me where the 66 happened! does it keep flashing up? or was it only once?

Sorry to hijack but was thinking of cleaning out my vac lines is there a knack to it or do you just take off each line one at a time and spray carb cleaner down each one

yeah man! take them off one by one! spray, dry, replace!

also clean out your passenger wing solenoid too (wastegate duty solenoid to use its real name haha)

http://www.uklegacy.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=106901

if you want to be really daring clean the solenoid box lines too! but you need ball$ of steel and the know how :thumbsup: i can talk you through it if you want but i wouldnt recommend it without,

Cheers man :thumbsup: how do you dry inside lines guessing cotton bud or the likes :ponder2: i was thinking of the solenoid lines as well just forgot the name of them (thats the big box on the drivers side with load of pipes inside just double check :icon_grin:) are they tricky to clean this is my first experience with the twin turbo setup
if anyone has any Q's uklegacy is the place to go!! thats where i get all my knowledge from! and there is still plenty more for me to learn from these guys!!

the carb cleaner evaporates real quick man! just blow down and wave it about and it will try fine in a few seconds!!

yeah the solenoid box is the black box on the drivers side suspension turret area!!

the lines themselves are easy! its the solenoids going back in the write way (they are directional from what i have gathered) very delicate, etc! and if you mess up your solenoid box your (excuse the pun) GOOSED!!

you wouldnt believe the people that try and clean it, spray the electrical solenoids, put them in the wrong way, mix up lines, and are then like "man! i havent got any boost at all" haha

its rather straight forward really just need to be logical! etc!

cheers for that i can well believe what people do but when i get to it ill def be taking my time and doing one at a time and replacing it before moving on cos i know myself i would get confused otherwise and im usually wary bout doing stuff myself in case i muck it up and ive heard how troublesome they can be as well which is making me even more cautious

Goosie Sorry only seeing these replys now, I recently serviced the car for him and cleaned out the lines and took it for a spin went fine for about 20mins but the light just came on at idle again, so the lad brought it upto dave in sti tuning I got a pain in my bollox with it being honest

Heartache timewise but fixed.

1. Intake pipe ripped at primary turbo
2. Primary turbo actuator seized
3. circlip on secondary throttle flap missing and was constantly open

great job Dave! :subaru:

those intake pipes are always going! and always on the primary! mine did too! :wall:

was the actuator seized open, closed or in the middle

[quote author=davelegacy™ link=topic=31389.msg365129#msg365129 date=1317557708]
Heartache timewise but fixed.

1. Intake pipe ripped at primary turbo
2. Primary turbo actuator seized
3. circlip on secondary throttle flap missing and was constantly open
[/quote]

Fair play Dave , was beyond my experience with them , Casso is delighted with the car now, the last owner was an absolute donkey

the last owner of my B4 was also a donkey!

ran the thing on 95 for 3 years and didnt realise he was meant to use E5! what a pratt! :cuckoo: :eek7:

a few months after i got it! POOOOOOOF goes the engine! found his email address in the boot after and messaged him! thats how i know!

Back