BC Coilovers ?

kanye west

Octane Boostaholics
As my shocks are knocking just thinking about all my options. BC coilovers seem to be the best coilovers for our roads. Should I look into getting a set or is the set up on the Spec C better ?

I've highlighted the important part below. Your car does have special dampers. Changing them out for BC coilovers (which are very much a budget coilover) would be crazy in my opinion.
I think the only coilover worth changing to for such a special car would be the AST coilovers that Litchfield put in their Type 25

Rev. F (2005)
The WRX STi receives the same increase in wheelbase as the Spec C. All STis received additional rear arch flaring in order to allow an increase in wheel size. The wheel size changed from 17" x 7.5" to 17" x 8". In accordance with the increased wheel width, steering lock-to-lock turns have been reduced. Wheel hub strength was improved. The P.C.D. was changed from 5 x 100 mm to 5 x 114.3 mm. The interior was vastly improved as well. A whole new center console now brings out a very high grade interior feel.

The WRX STI continues on relatively the same. The Impreza line's looks have been updated.

The WRX STI Spec C's receives the Arai tuned dampers and a 21 mm (0.8 in) swaybar. The rear suspension is changed from rubber bushings to pillowball bushings. The strut tower was further stiffened for improved handling and stability. The strut towers were reinforced for better handling and better ride characteristics. The engine mounts were changed from metal to liquid-filled plastic mounts to reduce vibrations into the car's cabin. Some 2006 owners have had issues with these plastic engine mounts. The manufacturer will replace them, under warranty if broken, with the 2005 rubber mounts.[6]

The DCCD is updated with the use of a torque-sensing mechanism inside the DCCD. The torque split is changed to 41/59.

The WRX STI Spec C was used for Group N homologation

Thanks Brian. That helps alot. So a set of KYB would be downgrading my suspension ? I'd say the Arai dampers are big money

hard to find any written info on what specifically was done to the suspension in your car to make it any different, maybe someone like Ciaran or Dave that has worked on them might be able to point out some differences?
I still wouldn't be replacing with a budget set of coilovers, the knocking can be repaired easily enough by greasing & someone on here actually setup a diy grease nipple if I recall correctly that makes it much easier to grease them?

i wouldnt put them into it.
i would put gaz gold or ast coilovers.

the bc would be a cheap and nasty set.

[quote author=Grahamo spec c link=topic=31386.msg360811#msg360811 date=1314190181]
i wouldnt put them into it.
i would put gaz gold or ast coilovers.

the bc would be a cheap and nasty set.
[/quote]

Id disagree with that,I think they are one of the better BUDGET coilovers available.
Maybe not up the Spec C standards

Drove a car with bc coilovers last week and they were very comfortable on the road. They are a budget coilover at the end of the day and wouldn't be the same quality of Tein Super Streets.

All the same, on your spec C Gary, I would try to stay as original as possible. If you can regrease and keep your current shocks, that would be the best solution :thumbsup:

Back