4door to 2door conversion

waynek

Middle Lane Hogs
alrite lads have this on the mind for a while now... gonna build a classic wrc impreza... can get a 4 door 95 wrx for cheap moneys... but i need to convert it to a 2door to have it looking right.... has anyone ever converted one of these from 4door to a 2door??

You could weld up the doors like that red one: http://isdc.ie/discussion/index.php?topic=4443.0 .. If you are just doing it for looks, then it will never look right. To get it to look like a type r coupe, then you would have to cut out the B pillar in order to move it and it'd be a hell of a lot of messing.

You could probably pick up a 1.5 coupe for handy money, probably less than you'd pay to convert a 4 door to 2 door anyway. Seen one on donedeal there the other day

Just buy a 2dr shell and swap your stuff across or just buy a Type R they are cheap enuf now, as Robbie says the 4dr with doors welded like red one is only really for track, they look too long and i would imagine your car will not pass an Nct, and may be un insurable

Dont know how much your willing to spend but :icon_grin:

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/3144895.htm

3144895-1.jpg

3144895-2.jpg

WRC 2 door Subaru shell (Gobstopper replica):
Tileys of Bristol (Subaru) have completed the work so far on this replica based on the real thing- Have spent in excess of 50k on this project - FIA Cage
- Airjacks turrets
- Side exit exhaust tunnel
- Front arches tubbed
- Boot floor flattened
- Genuine steel WRC kit fitted (Same as gobstopper)
- Passenger floor modified for a dry sump tank and NO2
- Drivers floor has a plate fitted for a pedal box
- Transmission tunnel modified for a sequential box
-Fire wall and parcel shelf fitted

-To go with the shell i also have WRC billet hubs the same as fitted to gobstopper- (These are priced seperately-see my ads)

Thanks for looking, will consider reasonable offers-this is priced to sell. Can be delivered anywhere for a small cost on lorry. Please contact me for more info and pics 07792788663

Tanx lads for the help, it has me thinking again... I've onli a grand to spend at the moment on a good car with engine n all... So that's why I was goin to get that wrx... Instead of buying a shell n den buying everything else.. It would cost a fortune n would b hastle too... The car when it's finished I'm goin to use it for a few things... Rallying, trackdays, time attack and possibly drifting all goin to plan... It's something different, n b nice when it's eventually done!!!! That's the reason I wanted it 2door like the proper 22b's because as u prob know that's basically what the wrc is.. A 22b!!!! So it push comes to shove.. I'll build a 4door wrc impreza!!!!!

[quote author=waynek link=topic=31380.msg360769#msg360769 date=1314140658]
Tanx lads for the help, it has me thinking again... I've onli a grand to spend at the moment on a good car with engine n all... So that's why I was goin to get that wrx... Instead of buying a shell n den buying everything else.. It would cost a fortune n would b hastle too... The car when it's finished I'm goin to use it for a few things... Rallying, trackdays, time attack and possibly drifting all goin to plan... It's something different, n b nice when it's eventually done!!!! That's the reason I wanted it 2door like the proper 22b's because as u prob know that's basically what the wrc is.. A 22b!!!! So it push comes to shove.. I'll build a 4door wrc impreza!!!!!
[/quote]

I'd go with a Grp A replica like Duffmans S2 WRC rep if I was you. You'll never make a 4dr look like a the 2dr WRC car.

BTW... A 22B is only loosely based on a the WRC car. The width is the same... but he aperture of the arch is very different with the WRC arches cut a lot higher for wheel clearance for the longer suspension travel required for gravel set up. They are very different with regards to the running gear too with bespoke subframes, mounting points and the majority of all other components.

I'd advice against building a 22B/WRC replica without going the whole hog and buying the wider 22B hub (1600.00 sterling each) as the standard wheel bearings in a Type R won't hold up to running different offset wheels or spacers to fill the arches... especially under hard competitive use. You can use the stronger newage hubs and bearings but this will involve altering drive shafts etc...

You'll have to drastically up your budget to build a Rally rep too. I'm heavily in debt on my own build and I'm not even half way there... with still a lot of panels to be bought... a full respray... all new running gear/suspension... the list goes on and on and on and on and on and on and on... :icon_blahblah:

Tanx Jamie... It is gonna take a while to do n get right.. Bu I have been building and workin on rally cars for the last 4 years+ so I know what is needed to have it right... I can get all the original prodrive body panels,. Rollcage and other bits and pieces like tha from a crowd in the Netherlands that I get all the parts for my skoda rally cars... So Bitta discount there!!!! Happy days!!!!

What's the crowd called??? Prodrive stopped making these panels years back and any steel ones left over are massive money. I'm curioous to know who this crowd is and how much they charge for em.

i have a new 2 door prodrive shell ready to build and also a prodrive group a shell with weld in cage and pedal box plates etc in primer that i may sell also have a full new set of group a proflex suspension just serviced and other parts

has the company in the netherlands got wrc quater panels ? if so i would be very interested in contacting them

Eric wever from weverssport.com he bought all the parts from prodrive and skoda when they stopped making all them parts... He has 8 American barns over they're full to the neck with every part u Cud dream of!!!!! I priced all the body panels for to build a wrc fabia during the year... Everything was costing 10grand delivered... That was bumpers, quarters, wings, 2rear doors, 2 front doors, sills, bonnet, roof scoop n spoiler... Everything genuine skoda parts too.... Was dear but didn hav d budget for it...

Ahhhh waynek... what are you doing... building up my hopes! :icon_rolleyes: Just got a reply mail from Erik in Weeverssport saying that they don't stock "the original prodrive" S5 quarter panels for the 2dr WRC car like you stated! :ponder2:

I gotta little too excited with that info. Shame! :new_puppy_dog_eyes:

BTW... did you actually buy the Skoda WRC parts.. or do you have a WRC Skoda..??? :dontknow:

When I enquired during the year he had everything there... N kg Motorsport in uk stock them n he gets the bits of Eric... No I was about to build 1 earlier in the year... Had shell ready to go bu when I got priced for body panels, we jus didn bother for the mean while.... Like it cost 7k to get the shell finished spending anuder 10 was bit too much in 1 go!!!! Bu tinking about doin this project for a while now... We do some mad shite so won't b anything unusual for us!!!!! Haha jus wanted to c if anyone went about converting a 4 door because I only have a budget for it now... But jus looking different sites I was thinking of cutting the back sections n replacing them with type R back sections

[quote author=waynek link=topic=31380.msg360806#msg360806 date=1314187961]
When I enquired during the year he had everything there... N kg Motorsport in uk stock them n he gets the bits of Eric... No I was about to build 1 earlier in the year... Had shell ready to go bu when I got priced for body panels, we jus didn bother for the mean while.... Like it cost 7k to get the shell finished spending anuder 10 was bit too much in 1 go!!!! Bu tinking about doin this project for a while now... We do some mad shite so won't b anything unusual for us!!!!! Haha jus wanted to c if anyone went about converting a 4 door because I only have a budget for it now... But jus looking different sites I was thinking of cutting the back sections n replacing them with type R back sections
[/quote]

The lads in KG Motorsport up the North get their S5 WRC parts from mainly cars traded in and WRC Spares who I bought my own panels off. The only supplier I know of for WRC cars form the earlier years... 97-99... would be WRC spares and they only do re-molds from the original steel panels. There was a mention of Matt in RCM getting steel rear quarter panels re-pressed but they where going to work out as mad money... especially when you consider they charge 1800 stelring for a steel front WRC wing per side!

I'm not sure why if you have a tight budget... you'd graft in the rear end of a Type R onto a 4dr. You'll still need to cut out the quarters once done... refit new WRC panels and get longer Type R doors. Surely it would be cheaper just to start with a 2 door shell then go the route your planning..???? :ponder2:

It's a lot of thinking to b done bout it... Mite build a 555 instead... Get the car first n go from there!!!

[quote author=waynek link=topic=31380.msg360809#msg360809 date=1314189394]
It's a lot of thinking to b done bout it... Mite build a 555 instead... Get the car first n go from there!!!
[/quote]

Certainly the cheaper option if you've a tight budget.

I'm already up to over to at least 4k sterling with bodypanels and other parts on my Type R WRC project... with at least another 2k sterling to be spent on Fr bumper, rr spoiler, bonnet vents etc etc.. :icon_blahblah: before I even worry bout running gear and ancillaries... another couple of grand!! None of which includes the inital cost of my Type R which I paid 22k for back in 2004. :icon_hang:

Jasus lad that's a fair bit alrite... Bu it's a costly business all the same but I know what it's like... I built a car for stock car racing 2 years ago n ended up spending nearly 6 grand on it!!!! It's madness when ya start to get carried away with stuff!!!! Ahh I'm having different tauts of what way to build it!! But it'll get done eventually!!! Tanx for the help tho:)

You have to look at 4dr cars as you only have 1k to buy a car and are looking at 10k for panels alone.... im lost :ponder2:

Budget for the shell/ car is onli bout 1500 at the min...
Getting the body kit for about 700-800... The rest will fall into place after that..the 10k was the price for the kit for the wrc skoda fabia

Back