garett gt30 turbo

You talking about standard position or rotated? If your talking about standard position internal waste gate, just forget about it, spool similar to city centre bus.
If you give a bit more info it would help, as in bhp you want and what your engine is able for, also useage....

the gt30 is ok on a 2.5, usually getting spool around 2700-3300rpm depending on compression ratio and intake,exhaust etc. spool is too late on the 2.0

[quote author=Ciaran RS-RA link=topic=31311.msg360210#msg360210 date=1313737535]
the gt30 is ok on a 2.5, usually getting spool around 2700-3300rpm depending on compression ratio and intake,exhaust etc. spool is too late on the 2.0
[/quote]
When you say Spool Ciaran, what boost we talking about at 2700? and are you talking about direct bolt on gt30 or rotated?

[quote author=KENC link=topic=31311.msg360179#msg360179 date=1313703098]
You talking about standard position or rotated? If your talking about standard position internal waste gate, just forget about it, spool similar to city centre bus.
If you give a bit more info it would help, as in bhp you want and what your engine is able for, also useage....
standard yeah im aiming for 400 hores and my engine is able for 450 think it a gt3070r same lines as a md321

[quote author=Ciaran RS-RA link=topic=31311.msg360210#msg360210 date=1313737535]
mine is 2.5 so should be ok then

The standard position garrets dont perform near aswell as the likes of the Hybrids such as the Md series.. An Md321t on a 2.5 should make around 1 bar around 2700rpm..

Billet wheel is the new thing to have so bare that in mind...
One imo to have a serious look at is the Scoobyclinic Range of Billet turbos, either SC42 or my favourite the SC46...
sC46 is a smashing turbo, and dare i say it probably better than the MD321t, its a 460 bhp turbo that is making 500 on 2.5 with 99 octane plus methanol.. but seemingly making 1bar at 2500rpms!!!!
So i think this turbo on e5 would be something to look at...
Forget about standard position Garrets man :naughty:

kens dead right in what he says, rotated is the way to go. i find if you make too much boost down low it makes the car very undrivable and breaks traction too easy. depends what you intend to use it for really. standard position can have good spool if a high compression ratio is used. you can use the smallest turbo to get the power you want, which will give you the lowest spool. but will be a limiting factor if you go chasing more power. there are also tweeks in the map you can use too get lower spool, but at the expence of off boost power. lots of variable's really.

cheers for the help lads ill scrap that idea so and look into the md or the sc series wat about the gt 28 that dec is suggestin

It doesnt matter what varient of a Garret you go, once its in the standard position they are in the shadow of the likes of the MD321h 321t and The Sc Billet range even Andy F does Billet 20g now.
I would strongly advise you to only buy a turbo with a billet wheel if you are buying new, by buying a turbo new thats not Billet, its like going out and buying a 1gb laptop when 4gb is the one on the go now and at same price...
Lateral performance are in the process of testing Billet wheels as an option as either new or upgrade to current Md turbos, but there has been no real results or graphs shown so it looks like they are finding it hard to produce the goods,
Where at the moment Scoobyclinic are on top of the game with their Blouch Billet range and to me have taken over from Md range and are now setting the standard..
But again i cant stress enough, forget the standard position Garrets, Rotated is the only Garret to have, and now thats got to be the rotated Billets GTs that SC are doing...

k im with ya now ken cheers jus more work wit the roated turbo and a lot more money ill look into the billet turbos for price etc :thumbsup:

Your going to be looking at probably 1500-1600 euro incl vat for likes of SC46..

On another note Ger, your Cosworth 2.5, am i right in presuming your Cosworth motor has Cossie Rods?

The best engine build is an engine thats run under its capabilities, So i would set 400 as my goal and no more, you have the components in the block that will take the power and now its the 2.5 blocks that is the weak link,
Their is no such thing as a bullet proof engine but as fars as rods, pistons bearings are concerned, when mapped correctly 400 wont stress them at all, and you will have a good safe reliable unstressed engine.
The 2.5 casings should have no issues at 400 either, its when you start going over 400 i start to question them a bit, too may issues recorded with them for my likeing.
If you want more than 400, or think you will in future then decide now, pull the engine and get the bores supported with pegs and then you should have a fairly safe under 480bhp set up..
Some would say this is scare mongering and they have ran this and that bhp with no issues.. but end of the day the name of the game is to try have it as reliable as possible, whats the point if not.

yeah thats exactly wat i want is reliable and 400hp wil be plenty especiallly in a type r with there close ratio box as wel and in a while hopin to uprate to a 6 speed conversion but mappin turbo injectors is my priority first should be huge difference then

When your getting mapped, because the 2.5 will probably make more torque than BHP, You can get it mapped with preserving your Type R box in mind.
Main thing is not to blow your own box, that way you have it to sell to off set the cost of 6spd setup.
To keep the Type R feel you can always do what i did and get a DCCD 6spd :dance:
400 in Type r is good fun and even can be a handfull at times.
Its hard to get a nice balance between power and driveability, i have to admit myself that i had started to focus on the BHP figure and not consider its real life driveability, only wen i lately jumped back into standard Sti's and drove them as an every day car that i re appreciated what it was that made me love Subarus in first place, and thats the straight away power, no lag, power available like its on a switch not the wait ...wait... wait... HERE IT IS BANG power of a bad decision upgrade Turbo.
I know maybe i may come across as an SC embassador, but trust me im not im open minded and have no team jerseys of any company, but the Blouch Billet range they are selling seem to be truely great, some 400 turbos are spooling quicker than the standard Subaru ones, and the likes of an SC46 that has potential of hitting up to 500 but can have 1 bar at 2500 rpm to me is really an ultimate package, you pick the wrong turbo that can achieve 500 and the spool up could be near 1k revs LATER!!!,

Back