What to do now?

MrMagoo

Middle Lane Hogs
What mods next?
Well folks, picked up sligo_Daves Sti the other day, it's got equal length headers, fuel dump, mines ecu running 1.1 bar, all looks good but I'm looking for advice on the exhaust side of things, loving the sleeper effect with the lack of rumble, but wondering can I run a straight through Decat exhaust on it,I know Dave loved the sleeper effect!!! Or will I have to purchase a mappable ecu? What exactly can I do to the car power wise without having to remap?

Suspension and brakes are sorted so just wondering where to go from here?

Any help appreciated.
Mr Magoo

Honestly, the first thing I'd do is put on a set of unequal lenght headers to get the burble back. It won't affect the noise levels coming out the back but will give you the subaru theme tune back.

I assume there is a cat still in the exhaust? If you go decat, then noise is going to increase regardless of what you do. JPTypeRA has a 3" HKS system on his and its the best of both worlds, noise when the shoe is in but you can relax and have a normal conversation when just cruising along and still has the benefit of being a big bore exhaust. Hayward & Scott do 2.5" and 3" systems and offer the smaller, standard looking backbox which keeps the noise down as much as possible, I had the full system on my old B4 and it was great for everyday use and didn't draw too much unwanted attention.

I thought the mine's ecus were just a standard ecu which had been remapped with a sticker put on. I could be wrong though. If its standard then you can just get it remapped with a few mods, couture are doing great deals on ecuflash now or go down the route of ecutek as well. If the ecu is mines own, then purchase a V5 ecu from a breaker and get it ecuflash'd, they should be cheap as chips to buy really. I wouldn't go down the route of buying an ecu and then getting an ecutek map as by the time you do that, you are nearly at simtek levels then and that would be a much better option for a few extra quid.

You shouldn't really do anything to the car power wise without etting it mapped as anything you do to increase power will affect the fuelling and if the fuelling is off, you can easily do damage to the engine.

Cheers lads, so possibly pick up a standard ecu and get the lads to flash it in couture? as it stands I'll be getting it on the rollers as last time it was done was back in 2008 and afr boost etc looked fine, just out of curiosity would running a decat exhaust and possibly installing a fuel pressure regulator along side the walbro make it a bit safer? What about running 440s?

[quote author=MrMagoo link=topic=31161.msg358852#msg358852 date=1312317575]
Oh! Silly me!, so what about the deceit n the fuel pressure regulator? Ok to run?
[/quote]
Decat?? With the mines ecu I wouldnt because you might get a spike in boost or creep, Fit a mappable ecu and then fit cat and map at the same timeso no damage can happen.
Fuel reg? Wouldnt bother with them if the pump is good and injectors are sufficient which they are with that turbo, Vf28?

Surely with the boost gauge installed and not a very heavy right foot I should be ok with boost spike or creep? Think I will get it on the rollers to see what's happening now and then decide what to do!

heard of lots of walbros failing especially if fitted awhile rcm do a proven pump which they carried out test ill try dig out part number

[quote author=Animal spec-c link=topic=31161.msg358858#msg358858 date=1312321019]
heard of lots of walbros failing especially if fitted awhile rcm do a proven pump which they carried out test ill try dig out part number
[/quote]

Fuel pump is only in less than a year. Should be plenty of life in it??

[quote author=MrMagoo link=topic=31161.msg358856#msg358856 date=1312318972]
Surely with the boost gauge installed and not a very heavy right foot I should be ok with boost spike or creep? Think I will get it on the rollers to see what's happening now and then decide what to do!
[/quote]

I would not rely on my right foot to regulate boost pressure

@ mynameismud: Ill leave you to put those superb mods on your car! Should be next on your to do list is it???

[quote author=sligo_dave link=topic=31161.msg358863#msg358863 date=1312322620]
[quote author=Animal spec-c link=topic=31161.msg358858#msg358858 date=1312321019]
[/quote]

[/quote]

after speaking to bob rawl while mapping my car in the uk he said he encountered lots of pumps that didnt perform as they should new and old, and spoke with other guys who couldnt complete there mapping due to faulty walbros,if mrmagoo is want?ing to up the power he should think of a different pump imo as it may or may not hold out dats all

[quote author=Animal spec-c link=topic=31161.msg358890#msg358890 date=1312360902]
[/quote]

[/quote]

after speaking to bob rawl while mapping my car in the uk he said he encountered lots of pumps that didnt perform as they should new and old, and spoke with other guys who couldnt complete there mapping due to faulty walbros,if mrmagoo is want?ing to up the power he should think of a different pump imo as it may or may not hold out dats all
[/quote]

Surely they all cant be bad?

[quote author=BazGF8 link=topic=31161.msg358905#msg358905 date=1312370718]
[quote author=Animal spec-c link=topic=31161.msg358890#msg358890 date=1312360902]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Surely they all cant be bad?
[/quote]i had no problems with mine, and was mapped twice

Very surprised at the comments about the walbro pump? Would have thought these were the natural and reliable upgrade for most cars?

I've replaced a walbro pump on my car that was only 4 years old (approx 50k kms). The new one is starting to whine slightly now too & may not last so my personal experience would be that they only have a limited lifespan.

Back