rear diff

210bhp legacy

Middle Lane Hogs
hi guys
once again i am looking for help and advice
my 92 turbo started making funny noise the other evening- it was a groaning noise similar to a wheel bearing only louder- this seemed to happen only low down on revs- the noise is at the left hand rear of the car- my mechanic looked at it this evening and could see nothing loose or with play in it- the only other thing it can be is the diff
so coming to my question, is it worth stripping the diff to replace a few bearings or should i go for 2nd hand????
any help much appreciated
john :worship: :worship:

[quote author=210bhp legacy link=topic=3558.msg35601#msg35601 date=1189106897]
hi guys
once again i am looking for help and advice
my 92 turbo started making funny noise the other evening- it was a groaning noise similar to a wheel bearing only louder- this seemed to happen only low down on revs- the noise is at the left hand rear of the car- my mechanic looked at it this evening and could see nothing loose or with play in it- the only other thing it can be is the diff
so coming to my question, is it worth stripping the diff to replace a few bearings or should i go for 2nd hand????
any help much appreciated
john :worship: :worship:
[/quote]

John,

A couple of questions. Automatic transmission or manual? How are your tires? Do they all match - tread wear, brand? And finally, have you checked the rear differential fluid? Your problem may be serious, and it may not be.

Have you ever taken a differential apart? I think it is much easier to get a good second hand diff.

Let me know

Akki

hi akki
its a manual transmission- my mechanic checked everything for me yesterday and everything checked out ok- everything was good and tight with no play and the diff fluid was ok too- all tyres are wearing ok- dont do too much milage to notice any difference
i wont be doing any repairs myself- will leave that to my mechanic- so the easy option is  a 2nd hand diff then by the sounds of it??
thanks for the help mate
john :thumbsup:

[quote author=210bhp legacy link=topic=3558.msg35685#msg35685 date=1189157548]
hi akki
its a manual transmission- my mechanic checked everything for me yesterday and everything checked out ok- everything was good and tight with no play and the diff fluid was ok too- all tyres are wearing ok- dont do too much milage to notice any difference
i wont be doing any repairs myself- will leave that to my mechanic- so the easy option is a 2nd hand diff then by the sounds of it??
thanks for the help mate
john :thumbsup:
[/quote]

Hi John,

yes, I would say so. 2nd hand diff is the easy option.
Shouldn't be too expensive. Ask for Sean in NI from McKeevers Car Dismantelers. He should have one around. Got my gearbox from him.
Is a good guy.

Axel

hi akki
yeah been on to sean and he has one alright :thumbsup: 200 stg pounds :cry: :cry:
but he tells me they dont give any problems so not sure what i should do now :ponder: :dunno:
my mechanic is away until tuesday so might get him to have a closer lookthanks for the help again mate :thumbsup:
john

well dude,
dont forget all rear diffs are not the same. i was getting a gearbox with a rear diff thrown in for £200 in bridge van dismantlers maybe give them a try.

Back