*** URGENT HELP NEEDED - GODSPEED ADAPTORS FOR REAR STI 2 POTS ***

JAMIE-TYPERV6

Octane Boostaholics
Hey all,

I need some help urgently regarding fitment of STI 2 pots to my MY01 Irish Classic wagon.

I ordered a set of adaptor brackets last week from Godspeed to fit the 2 pots of my Type R to my wagon as they worked out cheaper than having to replace the disks and pads that where past there best on the standard single pots. I was well chuffed to get them as the 2 pots where bound to improve the braking and they are off a low mileage car and fairly mint.

I rang that f@*kwad in Godspeed prior to ordering them to double check if I needed thicker handbrake shoes along with the brackets as I figured (without getting a chance to measure both disks) that they might be a different diameter on the internal drum for the handbrake... only to be told NO that they where the same.

Long and short of it is.... THEY F**KING AREN"T!!!!! The STI's rear disc have an inner drum of 191mm and the standard single pot disks on my wagon have an internal diameter of 171mm!! I now have my handbrake adjuster wound out fully to the max and they are still miles off and I have no handbrake.

I had to throw it all back together with the new STI 2 pots fitted as I can't be without the car... and now have to park the car down the road on the flat as our drive is very steep!!!! :angry1: :angry1: :angry1:

Has anyone ever fitted these adaptors... and do you know is there a thicker handbrake shoe required???? :dontknow: I know fitting Brembos on a classic requires thicker shoes ... but I was led to believe by that gunther that my standard ones would do!!!!

I'll be ringing him tomorrow pretty pissed off.... but hoped someone might be able to put my mind at rest in the mean time!

On a good note.. I did manage to fit my re-furbed 4 pots on the front with fresh disks... and the 2 pots on the rear with fresh disks and a set of Goodridge braided lines all round. :dance:

All I need now is my handbrake and I'll be sorted! :icon_rolleyes:

Id say he got you mixed up and thought you were fitting rear brembos to your type r, You probably need to bring across your type R shoe assembly, if it will fit if not thicker shoes or is the wagon disks the correct size to use with the type r caliper

Your best bet Jamie is to get 2 rear discs of an 02 WRX bug as there handbrake diamator is 171 and still have the 290 disc size for the 2 pots!

Thicker handbrake shoes are required if you are fitting the type r disks because the type r disk has the same ID as the brembo :icon_sad:

Not without changing the hub i think ken. They work off the same diameters as the disks so if you mismatch the the handbrake won't sit properly. Its certainly worth investigating further but i don't think so. That's why they have the market for the standard shoes with a much thicker liner so they also work off the same diameter.

Your best bet Jamie is to get 2 rear discs of an 02 WRX bug as there handbrake diamator is 171 and still have the 290 disc size for the 2 pots!
[/quote]
This is what i done and worked out fine, stew helped me :thumbsup:

Attachments

• DSCF2296.JPG
    DSCF2296.JPG
    739.9 KB · Views: 2
  • DSCF2296.JPG
    DSCF2296.JPG
  • DSCF2296.JPG
    DSCF2296.JPG
  • DSCF2296.JPG
    DSCF2296.JPG
  • DSCF2296.JPG
    DSCF2296.JPG
  • DSCF2296.JPG
    DSCF2296.JPG
  • DSCF2296.JPG
    DSCF2296.JPG
  • DSCF2296.JPG
    DSCF2296.JPG
  • DSCF2296.JPG
    DSCF2296.JPG
  • DSCF2296.JPG
    DSCF2296.JPG
  • DSCF2296.JPG
    DSCF2296.JPG
Ah bollix lads!!!! I feckin told him I was planning on using my type r calipers and disks and he never said anything about different diam handbrake shoes! I'll call him tomorro.... Bollock him from a height and see if he has shoes as I can only imagine replacing disks will cost more. The only reason I went this route was cos it was my cheaper option! I must check to see if those disks are still for sale too.... Might be plan B depending on thicker shoes price!

Thanks all for the advice.... Much appreciated! I'm f@#king bulling though!!!! :angry1:

@ Joe... He's a tool! I'll ring him tomorrow and order up a set unless disks work out cheaper! More bloody money though... :doh:

@ Ken.... Cheers lad! :thumbsup:

Know where there is a a bugeye wrx being broke, if that is an option like suggested above some where?

Cheers Ken... I've PM'd JDM Sti bout those disks and if there gone I might look down the 2nd hand route too!!

At least I've a few options. :icon_rolleyes:

I gotta remember the car is parked down the road in the morning otherwise I'll have heart failure thinking that it's been nicked!!!! :shock2: :lol:

[quote author=joescooby link=topic=30688.msg354834#msg354834 date=1306703644]

[/quote]
This is what i done and worked out fine, stew helped me :thumbsup:
[/quote]

Meant to ask you Joe... I assume you had to trim your heat shields back a little to get the 290mm disc to fit...? :ponder2:

Trimming is for pussy's Jaime, beat the living fook out of the dust shields

Well jamie we done it the cavan way and as kenc said, got a good lump hammer and we took them off but id say u cud get a shield to fit it and tac it back on with a welder, will probally do this some time, wud look better :thumbsup:

I didnt take of mine, just kept tapping it all around with lump hammer, untill i got it to clear the disk

I thought of tapping lip back... But figured it quicker to take the angle grinder to em. I literally only took the lip off and left the backing plate there. It'll do!

Back