Reducing tyre profile

adamshred

Sunday Drivers
Hows it going lads, I've got the forester running on 215/60/16 at the moment and I need to get some new tyres and I want something a little less thick, so what would be the best tyre profile to move down to? ?

is 40 or 45 do able?

I want a good set of tyres so I'd imagine a lower profile would open my options into the bigger names

any suggestions?

Thanks,

Adam

i wouldnt move down to that thickness on a 16" rim, maybe if you can pickup a set of 17's cheap enough and got with some 225/45/17. 40's are a lot less comfortable compared to 60

Yeah I see what you mean, what about 50 even?

I love the wheels, they're original STI bbs so I don't really want to get rid of em!

Are jeeps not supposed to have big tyres?? :icon_nana:

205-50-16 will be same as standard alloys on impreza so why not try one of them for size. Sure someone near you has a standard alloy they can lend you. I have some there but probably a bit far from you.

[quote author=adamshred link=topic=30418.msg351670#msg351670 date=1304934312]
Yeah I see what you mean, what about 50 even?

I love the wheels, they're original STI bbs so I don't really want to get rid of em!

[/quote]

I have a set of those wheels and they are going onto my wagon, I'll be going to a 50 profile, I think 50 would look wrong on a foz but maybe 55?

[quote author=sligo_dave link=topic=30418.msg351682#msg351682 date=1304937292]
Are jeeps not supposed to have big tyres?? :icon_nana:

205-50-16 will be same as standard alloys on impreza so why not try one of them for size. Sure someone near you has a standard alloy they can lend you. I have some there but probably a bit far from you.
[/quote]

Haha thanks for the help, my wheels are 215 though so that'll make a difference!

I was checking it out there and I can get 55's which probably wouldn't be too bad what ya reckon?

If your changing all 4 then go for the 55 profile. Not gonna be a huge difference but it should be an improvement.

Yeah I'm changing all 4 as they're in need of a change at this stage.

Sure I'll try the 55's which is only a small reduction in profile,

Thanks for all the help lads!

Adam

I have just bought a forester sti 2001 that had same bbs wheels. sold to baz82 above.

imo i would think the wheels would look lost on a lower profile tyre size.

Adam
Bare in mind any change to overall circumstance of wheel/tyre combination will have an effect on the accuracy of your speedo!

Either have speedo recaliberated or test and leave compensation!!!

I think however if you reduce the overall size you will be under indicated speed by a few mph/kmh
Last thing you want to do is get caught speeding when your speedo says your within the limit!!

Lowering profile should lower actual speed not increase. As in when doing 60mph will be like 58mph on a 55 profile or 55mph on a 45. That type of thing. So would not get caught speeding as wasy.

Would be more thinking looks of car wouldn't be right looking.

That's what I thought! As I said tho it's best to either have speedo recaliberated or find out how much difference has been made then compensate

Back