Hid kit problem

keith555

Octane Boostaholics
Got a set of hid's last year and fitted them. Problem was they only worked on my high beam.
Anyone know what I am doing wrong or what I need to make them work on normal beam also.
Took them out as they were just blinding everyone and couldnt see a thing as they were so high.
Want to fit them again but properly. :icon_grin:

Kit contains
2 x HID bulbs
2 x ballasts
2 x ballast holders

Cheers :thumbsup:
Keith

maybe jap cars and u.k. cars are wired differently
your hid kits are for jdm
so they are reversed
wouldnt be suprised
:dontknow:

you won't get it right and road legal...throw away or sell/give to someone you don't like...

its h4s in your car keith unlike newage with seperate main and dip beams...not too sure if they can work!!!
hids dont really work on main beam as the bulb needs time to get to fully brightness and by then you've probably had to dip to oncoming traffic...
any pics of the bulbs???

jdm and uk makes no difference other than to switch the wires around...
i have jdm headlamps in my type uk...
:thumbsup:

I have 2 different hid kits
1 in the car is hi/lo kit
Kit in the shed is high beam only

[quote author=Hammie link=topic=30392.msg351266#msg351266 date=1304780288]
I have 2 different hid kits
1 in the car is hi/lo kit
Kit in the shed is high beam only
[/quote]

Does the one in your car Neil have a hi/lo box as well as the two ballast boxes. :ponder:

The Hi/Lo kit has different bulbs to the Hi beam only kit!!!
Ill take a few pics of them tomorrow for ya so ya can see the difference!

What make is the kit?
where did you get it?
have you still got the box?

Sounds like you got a high beam kit keith. The hi/low ones have a solinoid in them.and flicks between highand low. But bi xenonis best kit to go for. Dearest though.

Cheers Dave for the link. :thumbsup: Might just go get them as its free delivery so works out only 100 notes.

The one I have is a set of ebay but has that its a hi/lo kit so dont know whats the story with it. :dontknow:

If ya want help fitting the new kit when ya get it let me know!!!
They are fairly easy done tho

Cheers Neil. I will take a pic tomorrow of the one Ihave anyway to see if its just something I am doing wrong
but think I got sent a ho kit instead of the hi/lo kit needed. :ponder:

Same reason I have the hi beam kit in the shed
Bought it thinkin it was hi/lo kit

Took it out 15 mins after fitting it absolutely disgusted!!!
It might get used some time for something tho!!!

Please correct me if I'm wrong but non OEM HIDs are not road legal on the dip beam or driving lights. This is down to the lense and the shape of the reflector which was designed for H4, H1 or H7 throwing the light beam all over the place instead of focusing it properly. The other reason is that non OEM HIDs take a couple of seconds from cold to reach operating output which means if you suddenly need dip beam, it isn't there. Also, switching from Main to dip will leave you with a temporary black spot. Some of the aftermarket HIDs have an electro mechanical device that physically moves the bulb, probably not a good idea. There are also dual bulbs that have a hologen for the dip and HID for the main beam but I've only read bad things about these and the only place I saw them for sale was Fleabay.

On a more positive note, If you would like to improve the headlights for out of town driving, have you tried the Osram Nightbreakers? Ring do a +100 bulb too and that works well. I've been using the Nightbreakers for about five years and there really is enough of a difference to justify the price. I had an HID kit on my Accord but it was only on the high beam, and after the first couple of seconds on main beam, the night just disappeared. On the Accord, the dips stay on when you go on main beam but switching back to the Nightbreakers only on dip was ok after the HID mains.

Oh, and one last thought on HID dips, you will piss everyone off coming the other way, no matter how low you aim them, even a lot of factory equipped cars - Mercs, BMWs, Audis etc, are too bright.

I know where your coming from
However my car passed nct with hids in!
They take a few seconds toheat up initially but once heated up there is no dark spot changing from hi beam to low beam!!! It's instantaneous!!
I've not been flashed at once by a car coming towards me since I changed to the however used to get flashed regular with the old bulbs!!!

Not saying your wrong but giving personal experience so far

Hi,

Have done loads the ones hammie has and have my forester and no probs of getting flashed. that is as the headlights alignment was correct prior to installation.Have had usual issues of bulb or ignitors acting up the odd time. but for e100 is not gonna be ultimate long term quality is it. But if lasts a while they look good.

Only prob with other kit is fecking hiding x4 ignitors instead of x2. bumper off? and if one fails then bumper off again to sort.

Back