Heat wrap

Altezza-Dan

Octane Boostaholics
Im wondering would heatwrap on my Milltek downpipe act as sound deadening too? It sounds a bit tinny at the moment, maybe it will sound a bit different after remap, as i have been driving it off boost until i get remap in the next few days

[quote author=WAGON DEC link=topic=30290.msg350059#msg350059 date=1304258994]
as above always sound thinny but will be a savage sound at full chat when mapped
[/quote]

Ye i cant wait until its remap to get some full throttle going on! So is there any benefit of wrapping the downpipe? I have been heard it can lead to metal fatigue sooner on the pipe due to the heat being kept in the metal

have not heard about fatigue dan but i know wrapped or ceramic coating is used to reduce engine bay temps ,and also increase gas flow out of engine because the pipes dont soak the heat and slow the gas flow

I havent hear anything really either Dan on heat wrap, its the done thing, probably 99% use heat wrap and 1% go the expensive route of ceramic coating.
Also it may not be your Downpipe only thats causing your sound difference, if the Manifold you got is a different material compared to your old this will cause tiny sound, i noticed that on the likes of Hondas going from cast mani to stainless, the sound like a fiesta :icon_grin:

[quote author=Altezza-Dan link=topic=30290.msg350074#msg350074 date=1304262505]
interesting read here:
http://www.guy-croft.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=759&hilit=exhaust+wrap

i might concentrate on trying to keep the intercooler, less heatsoak prone by adding some heat reflective wrapping to the intercooler pipe and underside of the core.

All the twinscroll manifolds are made from the same materials, new ones are just slightly larger in diameter

[/quote]

told ya, i should have taken a pic of the last downpipe i took off - the pipe was split in half, when you tried to bend the metal it would just break off in lumps.

i wondering though maybe the ones that it causes issues with aren't new and might have rust already on them and then the heat wrap cause them to fail earlier. Maybe wrap on a new pipe and rewrapped every 2-3 years might be grand. seems like a lot of people tend to wrap their aftermarket downpipes. Anyone ever try the Zircotec ceramic coating or similar?

ceramic coatings will flake in time also dan....i bought new headers recently and the seller told me to forget ceramic and stick with heat wrap...
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Back