MY95 wrx wagon electrical power problem?

adamt

How ya doing I’m not a regular poster here but just seeing if anyone could point me in the right direction with a problem I’m having. I’ve got a 95 wrx wagon and it’s having a problem with its electrical power. Basically it starts fine every time and will idles away then intermittently all the electric power in the car with dim up and down, as in the headlights, interior lights, dash lights, this can also happen when driving. The car will stay running fine but all the lights dim up and down which is a problem a night for obvious reasons. The rate of dimming up and down will increase or decrease with the rpm. There are no warnings coming up so should I be checking the alternator? Battery? Is there a voltage regulator, if so could this be a problem? Appreciate any help with this.

Cheers
Adam.

A multi-meter will help with that, i'd be guessing the alternator too.
Especially since you mention the reving and the dimming and brightening of the lights.

Thanks for the reply, when I mentioned about the revving and dimming and brightening of the lights I mean the lights pulse up and down in brightness at steady revs and if you increase the revs the pulsing gets quicker. Am I right saying I should be getting around 14v out of the alternator?

Well I've been looking more into this and here's what I've found, first off this problem always occurs when you first start the car up from cold, the power will pulse up and down on all electrical systems and idle is a bit jumpy, (can't see it on the rev counter but you can hear the engine pulsing up and down very slightly) and it will do this until it's warmed up then it stops. Then intermittently when driving it will start pulsing again, the car doesn't drive any different but you'll see from the main lights and dash lights, this can last for any amount of time, but will go back to normal after. I checked the voltage out of the alternator and when the pulsing is occurring the voltage is pulsing from 14v to 10v consistently up and down, when it’s not I’m getting a constant 14v +. What I don't know is, is this caused by a faulty alternator or could it be by something drawing extra power? Has anyone experienced anything like this before? Don't particularly want to go changing out the alternator without knowing more. Also I did change the battery in it but it made no difference. Still driving the car daily but would like to get it sorted, any help appreciated.
Cheers
Adam.

Cheers, I had checked and cleaned the negative from the battery to the chassis and it still happens, is there other one's I should check? Where’s the engine earth strap located? Loads of questions I know sorry, Cheers.

Theres a few earth connection on the engine, i fitted an extra one.

Straight from the negative on battery to a good point on the bodywork.

(was having a similar problem). Made a big improvement.

I have a spare alternator down home in Kildare. But will be down that way during the week.

If you want to try it, swap it over, just let us know. I'm in City west, in Dublin.

Had the same problem with the leggy....get a heavy duty battery and all will be fine...if not its the alternator acting up but id nearly bet my shorts its the battery..Buy one from a motor factors and dont be wasting your money on them fairy batteries u get from the likes of a tyre place dey wud sell u anything just for a sale...the voltage will tell you nothing my friend you need to check the ampage as this will determine the condition of the cells better :thumbsup:

I actually bought the second most powerful battery they had on the shelf when I changed mine!!!
It was a bit of a fe ker to fit in cause it's tight as he'll, but I've never had evena small issue since!!
I had same prob when I bought my car as your having now! I undone the earth straps and made sure they where all good solid connections!!! Never happened since!!! Replaced the battery not long after cause I fitted a new alarm and old battery was not holding charge any longer

Nice one lads, cheers for the help I'll try the earth connetions first and then another heavy duty battery, If that all fails, Murto I might take you up on that alternator.

Thanks again lads.
Adam.

Hope you managed to get your car sorted.

Still have the alternator if you think you want to try it.

Back