Detail DUFFMAN's Impreza

keith555

Octane Boostaholics
DUFFMANS MY06 Subaru Impreza Full Detail

Jonnie and my sister have been on to me for months now to do a full detail on there new Impreza they got last year so seen the evenings and weather has started to pick up I got the finger out and detailed there car.

I have a step by step guide to doing this car which I have done for people looking to get there car in top condition for the nice weather in the coming months so hopefully lads can pick up a few pointers along the way.

So here is the car as I got it. Not that dirty for a daily driver.

DSCF4595.jpg

DSCF4597.jpg

DSCF4596.jpg

DSCF4600.jpg

DSCF4601.jpg

DSCF4603.jpg

1. I started of with the engine bay. I used Gunk engine cleaner to freshen up the engine bay. Covered up electrics etc first then used a Swiss wax brush to agitate areas which needed more attention. Rinsed of after a couple of mins and dried down engine and used Autoglym rubber care to add a nice fresh shiny look to all the hoses.

DSCF4605.jpg

2. I washed the car with Meguiars Ultimate Wash and Wax using the two bucket method and with a Meguiars lambs wool mitt.

DSCF4606.jpg

DSCF4610.jpg

3. I then used degreaser on the arches, under side skirts and spats. Make sure to rinse after letting it agitate for a minute.

4. I washed the wheels with Meguiars Ultimate Wash and Wax using the two bucket method and with a Meguiars lambs wool mitt. Then to get wheels 100% clean I used Carplan tire foam spray on tires and wheel cleaner with a Swiss wax brush to agitate. Rinsed the products off and dried the wheels. Make sure to do one wheel at a time and not leave wheel cleaner on for more than a minute.

DSCF4608.jpg

5. Dried the car using a Meguiars Chamois with Meguiars last touch detail.

DSCF4612.jpg

6. Then once the car was washed and dried I prepped the body work for polishing by using Meguiars clay bar and Meguiars last touch for lubing the surface. Clay bar took some amount of contaminants of the body work and here is it after just half a wing.
DSCF4611.jpg

DSCF4613.jpg

7. After clay bar the car I gave it a once over with the Chamois and last touch detail again to get rid of residue.

8. Used 3m tape to tape up all rubbers and lights before I used a Kestrel DA to polish the body work.

DSCF4615.jpg

9. I used Meguiars Swirl X polish with a Lake Country polishing pad to remove swirls and small defects which was on the car.

DSCF4618.jpg

DSCF4624.jpg

50/50 of bonnet and wing
DSCF4619.jpg

DSCF4621.jpg

10. Once the body work was finished I went over it with a 100% cotton towel and then with the Chamois and last touch detail again.

11. I waxed the car with Meguiars Carnauba wax and the DA machine using a Lake Country finishing pad. Used a foam applicator on hard to get to places. I buffed the wax of with a 100% cotton towel.

DSCF4629.jpg

DSCF4627.jpg

DSCF4626.jpg

12. After the body work was complete I moved onto the rest of the car. The wheels got a coat of Smart Wax Rim wax and the tires got a coat of Turtle Wax tire gel. I used a foam pad to apply the wheel wax and sponge to apply the tire gel.

DSCF4644.jpg

13. Arches got sprayed with Turtle Wax Wet Back to Black spray.

14. Cleaned and protected the plastic and rubber surrounds on the doors using Autoglym rubber care. Used a foam applicator to apply and cotton towel to wipe residue. Also did this with the door sills.

DSCF4641.jpg

15. Windows got cleaned and then a coat of Autoglym window polish. Windscreen got a coat of Turtle Wax water repellent.

16. Interior and boot got hovered and finished of by given the dash a coat of Turtle wax dash polish.

Finished article. Pictures are not the best as it was getting dark out when taking them.
Hope everyone enjoyed the read over this detail and if anyone has any questions fire away.

DSCF4635.jpg

DSCF4634.jpg

DSCF4644.jpg

DSCF4645.jpg

DSCF4651.jpg

DSCF4640.jpg

DSCF4642.jpg

That's a smashing job and a great guide. It's that time of year for sprucing up the motors for the summer

Great job keith, car looks great :thumbsup:

I'd get a smaller backing plate or start using bigger pads though. Backing plate should never be wider than the pad :thumbsup:

How long did it take all in?

Did you find it hard working in the Swirl X? I machine polished my car with Menzerna polish last year and it was really hard work, really sticking to the paintwork. It looks like you got great results with the Meguiars stuff

[quote author=Sweetcakes link=topic=29897.msg345922#msg345922 date=1301786672]
Great job keith, car looks great :thumbsup:

I'd get a smaller backing plate or start using bigger pads though. Backing plate should never be wider than the pad :thumbsup:

How long did it take all in?
[/quote]

I had got them pads with the DA from Detailer but had ordered 7inch Meguiars pads this week but never arrived on time from England.
Just made do with what I had and was very careful even doe the plate is rubber.

It took me and my mate the day to do it from 10.30 - 6.00.

[quote author=doggy link=topic=29897.msg345924#msg345924 date=1301787295]
Did you find it hard working in the Swirl X? I machine polished my car with Menzerna polish last year and it was really hard work, really sticking to the paintwork. It looks like you got great results with the Meguiars stuff
[/quote]

I used the same stuff on my own car a while ago and found it to be the same also mate thats why I went with the Meguiars swirl x as
its used a lot I have seen in the u.s. Its easy to buff of also and can not fault it one bit. :thumbsup:

lovely job, great results on a black car , i need to get a d/a at my car i think , few light swirls in it

Super job Keitho. .. Looks stunning. Say johnny is delighted.

Really dont see the time go. With the 2of you,s thats a combo of 15man hrs.

Can respect the cost of detailing knowing the time involved.

Back