Turbo Whistle

STiBug

Sunday Drivers
Hi all, Just a quick turbo question. I've noticed the last two times I drove the car (usually only gets driven at wk ends) that the turbo whistles when the trottle is let off while driving. First question, and most important one, is this normal or a problem!?

Turbos dont whistle but dump valves do when you let off the throttle like you mention.

I could be wrong on this and hopefully i am but there could be a prob in that there is air escaping from the turbo somewhere its not meant to and thats what your hearing do you have a boost guage fitted if so is it reading normal

is it a vf30 turbo on your car as these are prone to having cracked housings i could be wrong im sure someone will be along to clarify this :thumbsup:

[quote author=GORDON GT SERIES II link=topic=29891.msg345983#msg345983 date=1301835652]
is it a vf30 turbo on your car as these are prone to having cracked housings i could be wrong im sure someone will be along to clarify this :thumbsup:
[/quote]

Yeah I had a vf28 with that problem aswell. Could also just be a leaking downpipe or up pipe gasket, cheap fix parts wise but very time consuming for someone that does not work on subaru's

Thanks for all the comments. Will check out them few bits. Had a vf30 and exhaust housing was cracked on that it has been changed. Dump valve is factory.

always notice a whistle from subaru rally cars as they let off trotle, I tot this was normal and kinda sounds class. hear it the odd time from my yoke. totally different sound than the swoosh from dump value. :dontknow:

Ya it's just a constant whistle while the engine is breaking. Does sound good, as long as it not a problem! :dontknow:

Back