Newbie question : Sump Copper Washer - Genuine Subaru part ?

dealgan

Sunday Drivers
I've noticed a number of thread refer to using a "Genuine Subaru Sump Plug Washer"

I'm assuming this is the copper washer for the sump plug, which naturally gets compressed on tightening the sump plug, so needs to be replaced when the oil is dropped.

So, what is so special about a "Genuine Subaru" version ?

Is it simply a pointer that all genuine parts are used in a service, or is there something special about a genuine Subaru washer ?

As usual, excuse my newbie-ness :)
Cheers.
Declan

Same goes for oil filters, you must use genuine Subaru oil filters and fill them with oil BEFORE they are refitted to the engine. This is a must. Never heard anything about the plug washer.

subaru dealer usually gives you new washer with every new filter. if they are not "ask and you shall receive" i forgot to put new one one last time i changed the oil, has been fine since

OK, Yes, I understand what it is and that it should be replaced to avoid a leak because it compresses on first use like all cars, but what I noticed was that in old "for sale" ads, it seemed to be touted as a selling point... i.e. "Genuine Subaru Copper Sump Washer" or words to that effect.

Maybe I am just reading too many ads ! :icon_grin:

are these done deal ads your reading? i never seen someone selling a car advertising genuine washer as a selling point!

Show us a link!

no reason for it what so ever only that its good practice to avoid oil leak at sump as for subaru only ,thats just handyness id say while gettin the filter any sump washer same size is fine

[quote author=keith dublin link=topic=29651.msg343700#msg343700 date=1300577503]
A Subaru sump washer can give you an extra 15 bhp if fitted by a main dealer.
[/quote] :lolpoint: :lolpoint: 14 actually :icon_grin:

[quote author=dealgan link=topic=29651.msg343699#msg343699 date=1300576920]
well, some links to old ads on here...

http://isdc.ie/discussion/index.php?topic=22946.0

http://isdc.ie/discussion/index.php?topic=13334.0

http://isdc.ie/discussion/index.php?topic=19612.0

True, some say "Genuine Filter and sump washer", but at least one doesnt mention the filter in the same line.

Going back to my initial question, is it simply a case of "well looked after" or is it something I still dont understand ?
[/quote]

I think its just called comprehensive advertising! No harm in listing what has just been fitted in the last service. Better than saying "used an old washer i found at the bottom of my toolbox"

Just get over it and rest assured if you ever buy any of those cars that they halve genuine sump washers on them.

I didnt use mine on my last service, it was part of a weight reduction program and it must be saving me at least .00000000000031 sec 0-60!

[quote author=keith dublin link=topic=29651.msg343700#msg343700 date=1300577503]
A Subaru sump washer can give you an extra 15 bhp if fitted by a main dealer.
[/quote]

:icon_grin: Excellent :thumbsup:

oem washer it is not copper actually if you really care...it is silver and looks aluminum alloy like to me...whatever soft metal compression washer should do...

I think it is a good thing.Shows how comprehensive and particular the person selling the car is. Like if you let your car in for a service and they fill the washer bottle as well it gives a good impression. :icon_grin:

Back