TIMING BELT COVERS

JAMIE-TYPERV6

Octane Boostaholics
Anyone ever come across this... I went to remove the timing belt covers on my STI to check the belt... and possibly to paint the covers... and it would appear that some goon previously over tightened em and the captive nut in the rear plastic cover is now spinning when I try and undo em! :wall:

Anyone any ideas how to remove these or get the covers off without breaking em?? Bout 4 are f**ked... :angry1: so any help would be greatly appreciated! :pray:

no easy way jamie

i had the same problem before and its not easy, i done them all different, start by spraying wd40 on the back of them all but i still had to cut the heads of some and then used a flat screw driver to hold the nut on the back of the one you can get to, i could find no easy way and i had the aircon rad out and standard rad out.

best of luck

[quote author=AndyC link=topic=29631.msg343610#msg343610 date=1300529021]
Any way you could drill it out Jamie?
[/quote]

Yeah, I could Andy... But I reckon it'll be my last resort. :pray:

[quote author=DUFFMAN link=topic=29631.msg343612#msg343612 date=1300530391]
no easy way jamie

i had the same problem before and its not easy, i done them all different, start by spraying wd40 on the back of them all but i still had to cut the heads of some and then used a flat screw driver to hold the nut on the back of the one you can get to, i could find no easy way and i had the aircon rad out and standard rad out.

best of luck
[/quote]

I knew it was bound to be a pain in the ass Johnny... :wall:

[quote author=ianfl link=topic=29631.msg343616#msg343616 date=1300539638]
if there for classic break them off i have full spare set there :thumbsup:
[/quote]

I may just have to take you up on that offer if it all goes pear shaped Ian.

just remenber jamie if you break the rear cover it timing belt off!!! to get the new one on

[quote author=DUFFMAN link=topic=29631.msg343737#msg343737 date=1300621726]
just remenber jamie if you break the rear cover it timing belt off!!! to get the new one on
[/quote]

Oh i know Johnny.. fully aware and planning on not breaking em, as belt aint on the car that long.

usually end up like that from corrosion, just be carefull if you have to replace them - they changed through different versions.

Yea as Ciaran says, only v5 up will fit, think the v4 down had different timing sprockets.

If the captive nut is turning you may be just aswell to bin the rear covers as you could have same problem in future, drill the heads off bolts? save outer covers and get the inners, think they are the same for all classics

Back