tell me if you have heard this one before

N

Nettie

Guys
Looking for your assistance – Some of you have already recommended CarTork – so I will get in touch with Ian and get him to have a look at her – but in case anyone is into remote diagnostics thought I’d give you a bit of fun for a Monday evening!

About 6 weeks ago she cut out on me on the M50 in slow traffic – managed to jump start her in second and she cut out again – warning light and battery light came up on the dash – tried to start her :shock: no joy - got car towed to Scooby garage -  Garage checked out alternator and replaced bearing/seal & brushes also got an error code on MAF sensor so got that replaced as well.  All was fine until a week ago – she duplicated the same fault with a few extra lights on the dash (like ABS, Airbag and check engine light) – and then the dash fade in and out a few times  :cry: turned off AC, lights, eventually found a spot to pull in turned her off and could not start her again....  Called AA got them to check voltage and got around 10v - Back to scooby garage for the car and two days later and some testing by the garage – they don’t know what the problem is as they find the alternator is charging, voltage is fine and no other problems show up on diagnostics they decide it is the battery (though not convinced) I agree to change battery and collect car & drive home – no problem. 
Following morning on way to work  I get the same error lights again  :angry: (warning and battery) lights eventually go out – but no stalling etc - did have some electrical problems - like windows that wouldn't stay up, and interior lights that weren't working (although they are now).  Had the same warning/battery lights this morning when I slowed down at the toll booths on the M50 and M1, warning lights did eventually go out.   

I’ve replaced the throttle control sensor about 2 years ago and I have been having intermittent fault for about last 1.5 years where she will loose power in low gears and “kangaroo” and then suddenly surge forward - added an additional earthing point which decreased this pause/surge a bit –annoying but manageable! 

Hi Sounds a bit weird.
Could be a shortcut somewhere in the cabeling. Maybe a worn lead having ground contact or maybe water in the cabeling.

It is just a wild guessing, but I would check the cabeling in the engine compartment. It is not a real shortcut, otherwise the fuses would go.
Sounds a bit like a lose positive somewhere in the calbeling having occasionally ground contact through vibration.

Worst case the wireing has to be checked and tested. Or the Electronic (ECU) has a defect.

If you have a multimeter you should check the voltage and ampere at the battery when the problem occurs.

Good luck.

Akki.

Cheers akki :thumbsup:- appreciate any suggestions to sort this out

nettie

Back