Downpipe wrapping and turbo blacnket

Altezza-Dan

Octane Boostaholics
Should i wrap my new downpipe with some DEI exhsut wrap or similar? Also would it be beneficial to help keep temps down in the engine bay by fitting a turbo blanket to the vf36 too? New headers and up pipe have factory heat shielding on them so i presume they are fine

I prefer it - wrapping headers and downpipe not only keeps engine bay cooler, it keeps the gases powering your turbo hotter. But depends how modified the car is?

Note that if fitting wrap, I would finish it with lots of heat resistant paint too - otherwise you will steam like a bastid at the traffic lights when it's wet :)

Richard

Dont think i would bother Dan, you going FMIC still. Heat wrap is gets dirty and shitty looking very quick. If you really want to get some, Think Harvey is 58 pound for the black titanium stuff, one roll will do mani and up pipe, get some ties aswell, And wet it when putting on. If your getting some let me know, i might get some aswell as i need it for headers and all.
Exhaust blankets are ment to help spool up, but spool isnt going to be an issue so i wouldnt bother my arse, use standard heat shield or a nice after market one from the states

i couldnt be arsed with the hassle of going FMIC so i ordered an AVO TMIC last week. Can get a roll of the DEI stuff 2" x 15' for 30/40 euro on ebay, and some silicone sealant should help keep the dirt off it.PTP Turbo blanket can be used with the standard heatshield, just trying to keep the temps as low as possible on the turbo side of the intercooler

I don't think you want to be putting silicon sealant on exhaust wrap?! Heat resistant paint - most likely same place where you buy the wrap will have the paint. Downpipe is easy to do - headers can be a b*stard. Worth the effort when I did my original build, especially with a TMIC (slightly faster spool, but better was the extra advance I could apply at 5k plus). I am running without on my current build, but only until I have finished mapping it...which has been 5 years so far...

On the turbo blanket - be aware that it increases temps in the turbo, and I have known premature failures of earlier VF23 type turbos when blanketted (although these were a sh*t turbo that liked to fling compressor blades about by default anyhow!). It also means regular oil changes are an absolute must, as are proper cool down times after the turbo has been used in anger.

Richard

Back