Uprated TMIC vs FMIC

Altezza-Dan

Octane Boostaholics
So im still trying to decide whether to go for an uprated TMIC like this powerflow one:
http://www.hyperflow.com.au/index.php?widget=products&section=-top-mount-intercooler-tmic&id=hytm-libgtc

Its a bolt on replacemenrt to replace the small standard one

or this:
http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/new-low-cost-racer-x-itsme-fmic-v-3-05-146360p14.html

this one will let you keep standard intake and sprayed in thermo dispersing paint to help keep things cool.

So ideally the top mount will be easier to fit etc and will look standard and still fit other the engine cover. It might suffer more from heatsoak than the FMIC, but he power range ill be going for im not sure if FMIC is needed.

As good as any TMIC can be Dan, they will always be subject to heat soak because of there location.. This can be worked around do, if you plan on using some bosster etc it can help, also not doing something stupid likeing sitting in traffic for long, and then blasting the car straight away, you would need to drive for a mile or so at 60mph etc etc to get the Tmic cooled back down. Using a meth mix in fuel would be another major help but its pain in ass...
Sti8 tmic have been used up and over 400bhp, but still suffer heat soak when stationary, you have probably read about the efficency of the Classic Scoop up in the speed, how the air spreads around it rather than directed in, maybe check out the thoughts on the Legacy Scoop.

Fmic is the only real way to combat heat soak, when mapped correct the lag will be minimal, maybe even not noticeable, remember you will have a wee bit more lag with any Turbo size increase over standard.
I know the Fmic fitting is a bit of a ball ache, and you will probably have to look at extra cost of a aftermarket dumpvalve aswell.
Maybe ask a mapper what they make of the Tmic's, im sure if you are aware of the heat soak dangers you will be fine..

would there not still be heatsoak on the fmic piping once it enters the engine bay? There is a few larger scoop options for the legacy, not sure how much more airflow they would get onto the the top mount though

on a road car that wont go over 400bhp i wouldnt bother with a fmic

the only reason i went for a fmic on my old type r was, when on track days on a hot day the atuomatic water spray on to the tmic would use about 3/4 litres of water in a 10/15min session out on track, so i taught the fmic would make a good addition.

if your never going on track or dragging it dont bother with the fmic

[quote author=DUFFMAN link=topic=29097.msg338024#msg338024 date=1297510949]
on a road car that wont go over 400bhp i wouldnt bother with a fmic

the only reason i went for a fmic on my old type r was, when on track days on a hot day the atuomatic water spray on to the tmic would use about 3/4 litres of water in a 10/15min session out on track, so i taught the fmic would make a good addition.

if your never going on track or dragging it dont bother with the fmic
[/quote]
might do the odd track day in the future, saying that i havent done one yet in 3 years of ownership!

The standard legacy tmic is pretty small and is prone to splitting the the plastic end caps when run on increased boost and an sti 8 intercooler wont fit without changing intake manifold and some other stuff too, so hyperflow might be the best choice

i think you have the same plastic intercooler as i have dan, awful piece of sh*t, how subaru made a plastic intercooler i dont know, i have to change mine to a sti one as mine is leaking and not holding standard boost.

hyperflow it is so dan for you imo.

If the Sti 8 tmic would work out cheaper Dan, i have a newage inlet that has the TGV delete for sale, now im not sure what your injectors are like, but if they were same as newage and you could use them with my manifold, and a mapper said it was a good idea, maybe it would work out cheaper on you to go Sti 8 intercooler :dontknow:
Im not on the hard sell or anything, just making a suggestion that might (MIGHT) work out cheaper on you :thumbsup:

Back