bad knocking sound

carlee

Petrolheads
getting a real bad knocking sound when im on lock left or right
now this only happens after the car as been moving 4 a while,
had it lifted to have a looksy, an all seems fine as in cv, wishbones, track rods
was told maybe its inner drive, how would i know if it is ? once car as been parked
up for an hr or two its fine again, any ideas what else i should be looking at.

Its the centre diff in your gearbox.. Would put money it.. Had the exact same symptoms twice before and centre diff both times :icon_hang: :icon_hang:

it sounds like the vicous coupling which is connected to the centre diff
if it only happens when its hot roughly after 30 min of driving sound like the viscous coupling, a inner cv joint would knock when its hot and cold
let us know how you get on
are you going to bring it to someone?

[quote author=Sweetcakes link=topic=28988.msg336818#msg336818 date=1296927441]
Its the centre diff in your gearbox.. Would put money it.. Had the exact same symptoms twice before and centre diff both times :icon_hang: :icon_hang:
[/quote]
did you just change the box complete or split it and change the diff and vc or was it more cost efective to replace the box
i wouldnt imagine many breakers would split the box for the cenre diff/viscous coupling

Replaced the complete box first time round, much cheaper than splitting and fixing the diff along with everything else it had damaged (there was more metal than oil when the gearbox was drained).. Upgraded to a 6 speed box second time round then.. Euro auto salvage will take the damaged box as a trade in on a new one far ya as they rebuild damaged boxes and use them for rallying :thumbsup:

Around €4-500 for a box plus €2-300 fitting I'd say depending on who fits it for you. Of course you can at least continue to drive it, I was using mine for nearly 3 months before i decided what i was gonna do and be able to afford it.

Just be careful at the main dealers.. They may not have a clue what the problem is and may end up spending hours checking cv's etc and then charge you for the priviledge..

after two weeks of been in an out of garages
had it confirmed diff is goin. :icon_cry:
would i be better off parking it up till i can get the funds
together or would it be ok for a while :ponder2:

It will be OK for a while. Like sweetcakes I drove my old Legacy with the center diff gone for 2 or 3 months. Replaced gearbox with one from '05 Impreza.

[quote author=carlee link=topic=28988.msg339930#msg339930 date=1298750095]
after two weeks of been in an out of garages
had it confirmed diff is goin. :icon_cry:
would i be better off parking it up till i can get the funds
together or would it be ok for a while :ponder2:
[/quote]
did you get it sorted what did you do :ponder:

Back