Legacy B4 Drive Problem

johnoirl

Middle Lane Hogs
hi lads.
car was motoring fine today. wasnt ragging it. how ever tonight i took it out, and i was in 3rd gear at 50kph, down shifted to 2nd, not abruptly and then it had no drive and just a whine. the clutch seems ok as it wont let me put it in gear unless the clutch is pressed in. i managed to get it home on level ground but it was really slipping and whining. what would this be? any help as the car is due for its nct on the 31s jan.. thanks in advance

just some more info. over the past short while ive noticed a little ticking noise when i acellerate, and if i floor it at high speeds i get a vibration. (balancing and tracking done) and no flat spots on the wheel. i wonder if a drive shaft was on its way out if the splines have rimed on the left wheel would that cause me to have this problem.

Second hand gearbox about 3 to €400. Labour for the job about the same as 2 downpipes have to come off to get gearbox.

Should ave kept my golf.. oh god i can just see the €€€ now. funny thing is last night i managed to get a swap organised with it for a GTI golf on the 31st jan at the nct centre. im sick as fu*k now :( :comp26: :icon_hang: :boohoo: :new_2gunsfiring_v1:

the speedo goes up when it slips too. might read like 50kph when im just crawling at 5kph and its slipping.
Would a broken drive shaft on the front or a shimmed drive shaft cause this? ive a feeling its the passenger front side as thats the side that got hit in the snow..
@b4soon if its that ill have that :)

[quote author=johnoirl link=topic=28700.msg334000#msg334000 date=1295699591]
Would a broken drive shaft on the front or a shimmed drive shaft cause this? ive a feeling its the passenger front side as thats the side that got hit in the snow..
[/quote]

The drive shafts are connected to the gearbox...the gearbox contains the speed sensor which goes to the back of the speed dial....so I would say its possible but an educated guess on my behalf.

[quote author=B4_RSK link=topic=28700.msg333937#msg333937 date=1295653004]
It depends john, give this bloke a shout http://www.activetransmissions.ie/ he has a legacy himself so he'd be your best bet at fixing your problem, had my car out with him for gearbox,centre diff and transfer box problems and he's sound to deal with :thumbsup:
[/quote]thanks dude..

mechanic had a look at the car and recons its the clutch gone.
if i put it in 1st and leave hand brake up let off the clutch it just sits there and slipps away. are clutches expensive for em?

is there any drive in the car now at all? That happened to me and it was the front diff had sh*t itself inside the box..

yea if i slowly move off the clutch it moves just frikin slow. any pressure it slips. i might take a vid tomorrow and up it to youtube as im sure this migth hhelp other users on the forum.

[quote author=Sweetcakes link=topic=28700.msg334071#msg334071 date=1295727174]
is there any drive in the car now at all? That happened to me and it was the front diff had sh*t itself inside the box..
[/quote]was that expensive to get it fixed?

Put a new box in rather than pay for it to be replaced. Wasn't economical to rebuild, think the diff was near €600 plus labour plus fixing any other damage that the chunks of diff had broken

it does seem fine. but mechanic says different. so i dunno, gearbox is comin out this week anyway so ill know if it is the clutch anyway.

Back