Legacy B4 Issues!

MrMagoo

Middle Lane Hogs
Hi folks

Well I got myself back into a subaru today and I have issues already!
I got the car checked over by Dave in STI Tuning, Cheers for all the help Dave! Your a good man and no complaints!

I got a 99 B4 twin turbo legacy, The guy I bought it off has just rebuit the engine, Dave drove the car and the changeover from turbo 1 to 2 was slow, Dave suggested it could be boost solenoid, or bad plumbing as on of the pipes into the second turbo looked poor and was sealed with sealant??? Not a major issue in his eyes just to be dealt with.

I was on the way home, was driving easy off boost for ages and decided to plant the foot in 5th for a min! The car got to about 3700rpm and then wallop, like i hit a brick wall. Backed off immediately, slowed down and tried again in 3rd, wallop again same revs.
I slowly brought up the revs and it didnt happen at all at half throttle.

I dont have a boost gauge, Anyone shed any opinions on this?
Id love to just drop this to Dave next week but I live in cork and id like to try sort this down this way!
Where do i start?

Hello Mr Magoo,

I would start with a quick check of the boost / intercooler pipes, see if any clips are loose or if there is a pipe off :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Michael

Hello Mr Magoo,

I had one blow off a while ago & thought it was fairly abrupt.

It may be a place to check :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Michael

One thing I do see is the main intercooler pipe has a jubilee clip thats loose? Would this cause the hitting a wall at 3700 rpm syndrome!

Run a diagnostics test.
Could be code 66. Common problem with the Legacy.

I'd guess at a solenoid or vacuum line problem.

[quote author=MrMagoo link=topic=28693.msg333871#msg333871 date=1295641109]
Hi folks

Well I got myself back into a subaru today and I have issues already!
I got the car checked over by Dave in STI Tuning, Cheers for all the help Dave! Your a good man and no complaints!

I got a 99 B4 twin turbo legacy, The guy I bought it off has just rebuit the engine, Dave drove the car and the changeover from turbo 1 to 2 was slow, Dave suggested it could be boost solenoid, or bad plumbing as on of the pipes into the second turbo looked poor and was sealed with sealant??? Not a major issue in his eyes just to be dealt with.

I was on the way home, was driving easy off boost for ages and decided to plant the foot in 5th for a min! The car got to about 3700rpm and then wallop, like i hit a brick wall. Backed off immediately, slowed down and tried again in 3rd, wallop again same revs.
I slowly brought up the revs and it didnt happen at all at half throttle.

I dont have a boost gauge, Anyone shed any opinions on this?
Id love to just drop this to Dave next week but I live in cork and id like to try sort this down this way!
Where do i start?

[/quote]please donte telle me it was a guy in bluebell on nass road in dublin

@ Johoirl, It was a guy in ballyfermot?? Why? Give me a buzz if you have any info??
Eoin

does your check engine light come on after it dumps?agree could be code 66 or sonething yo do with the change over from small to big turbo

Right had another legacy lined up next to it today and found one issue! The pipes that come out of the boost solenoid box I think that are all numbered, well 21 and 22 that run behind the intercooler, connect to 2 steel pipes and are connected by 21 and 22 pipes on other end were wrong, 21 went to 22 and 22 to 21. Swapped them over and car runs much better, now wallop at any rev now? It seems to be holding back bu havent had a chance to hook up a boost gauge, will be doing that during the week to see what boost is running! Ah well, anoth subaru another endless list of issues to sort!!

[quote author=MrMagoo link=topic=28693.msg334039#msg334039 date=1295715123]
Right had another legacy lined up next to it today and found one issue! The pipes that come out of the boost solenoid box I think that are all numbered, well 21 and 22 that run behind the intercooler, connect to 2 steel pipes and are connected by 21 and 22 pipes on other end were wrong, 21 went to 22 and 22 to 21. Swapped them over and car runs much better, now wallop at any rev now? It seems to be holding back bu havent had a chance to hook up a boost gauge, will be doing that during the week to see what boost is running! Ah well, anoth subaru another endless list of issues to sort!!
[/quote]Well done dude :) takes time dont it

fu*k it does lad, might be back onto ya soon though to try and pick your brain about the apparent lack of boost!
Will see exactly how much or little we have first, and eliminate any easy issues!

[quote author=MrMagoo link=topic=28693.msg334046#msg334046 date=1295722897]
fu*k it does lad, might be back onto ya soon though to try and pick your brain about the apparent lack of boost!
Will see exactly how much or little we have first, and eliminate any easy issues!
[/quote]no worries man, my numbers 0872998929, all my boost probs where sorted when i followed the pics in this post. http://isdc.ie/discussion/index.php?topic=27502.0
get a boost gauge hooked up, it will help ya. dont do the same thing as me. reading psi as bars :dontknow: :shock2: dont know where i got that from. complete stupid mistake hahaha
mine reads 10-11 psi ish on 1st turbo and 15-16 psi ish on the 2nd turbo.
this is a handy website to convert psi to bar http://www.centauro-owners.com/articles/psibar.html

Right Folks

Just looking for a plan of action to see what the story is with the car, at present the issue is a seemingly hit or miss boost issue, feels ok, then feels like its lacking boost?
Im hooking up a boost gauge to see what were running on mon or tuesday.

When I get the results ill let you know, but im looking to see what I could be looking at changing, fixing, replacing.
If its primary turbo not boosting - What do I start with
If primary is ok but secondary is the issue where do I start?

I read on uklegacy forum of a guy who recons the solenoid box? Worth doing?
Could a leaky gasket into turbo 2 cause issues? We noticed a bit of oil burning off around turbo 2. yet to be looked at closely.

I really would appreciate any info as at the moment im swamped with what to do or where to start!

Back