Break oil

johnk555

Petrolheads
can anybody tell me if there any benefits of changing break oil
checked oil levels and is ok, gonna be getting new pads soon so was thinking of changing oil aswell

also power steering fluid any benefits in changing that

The oil can get tired and limp same as engine oil!!!

only difference being that when break fluid looses its viscosity the peddle feels a bit less responsive and softer!!!!

Hope that helps

Brake fluid can takes on moisture over time, so well worth replacing it every 36k miles or approx 30 months. It can greatly affect pedal feel if moisture content in fluid is too high.

when you are changing the break oil do you have to bleed them
or could you just change it in the reservior ..or are you wasting your time doing this

No... you're best removing most of the fluid from reservoir by sucking it out with a large syringe... then top it up with clean fluid and bleed the brakes. If you don't bleed them you are just leaving the bad fluid in the lines which will still cause a poor pedal feel... filling the reservoir and not bleeding brakes will do absolutely nothing.

The below link gives a good discription on how to bleed them and the order of which to bleed... :thumbsup:

http://isdc.ie/discussion/index.php?topic=3485.0

[quote author=JAMIE-TYPERV6 link=topic=28458.msg332339#msg332339 date=1294907764]
No... you're best removing most of the fluid from reservoir by sucking it out with a large syringe... then top it up with clean fluid and bleed the brakes. If you don't bleed them you are just leaving the bad fluid in the lines which will still cause a poor pedal feel... filling the reservoir and not bleeding brakes will do absolutely nothing.

The below link gives a good discription on how to bleed them and the order of which to bleed... :thumbsup:

http://isdc.ie/discussion/index.php?topic=3485.0

[/quote]

thanks for the link...i was trying to take the lazy option :cuckoo:
ill be changing the pads next month am i best of waiting till then to change the fluid or could i do it now

Probably better waiting. When you take out worn pads... push back pistons to fit new ones you'll force the fluid out of the reservoir... so you'd be better fitting new pads after suctioning out old fluid from reservoir and then flushing out remaining old fluid from lines.

[quote author=JAMIE-TYPERV6 link=topic=28458.msg332356#msg332356 date=1294913259]
Probably better waiting. When you take out worn pads... push back pistons to fit new ones you'll force the fluid out of the reservoir... so you'd be better fitting new pads after suctioning out old fluid from reservoir and then flushing out remaining old fluid from lines.

[/quote]

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :xmas_cheers:

Back