98 sti overheating!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

alan sti

Sunday Drivers
ok i have a mates sti at home which is wrecking my head!the car wil sit at idel all day long no problem even driving handy off boost it is also fine,once i give it the shoe after no longer than a minute the temp jumps straight HOT! And the inside heating goes cold!!!!!
i replaced the waterpump and thermosat,checked for water in oil/oil in water!also did a headgasket test and that came up good to!!!
any ideas would b brill,thanks!

thanks! i wish it was something dat simple,im going to run it later without a stat and c wat happens,but it is the 2nd new one i put into it, thinking the 1st one was dodgy!!!

engine is gettin very hot can hear it bubbleing in expansion tank and top rad pipe,bottom one cold tho,when i knock it off!!!

It might be showing up okay on sniff test but sounds exactly like my problem before christmas i did everything you hsve done and it ended up bein my head gasket man, im hoping it not as serious for yourself butdon't rule out head gasket. Hope you get sorted. :thumbsup:

Is she putting out a whiteish vapour from exhaust when up and running? be a sign of water in combustion chamber, is it using water? building pressure? You should be able to rule out a head gasket fairly straight forward.
Is the rad warm all over or just in one area, rad blockd, heater rad blockd or fukd? heater rad full of air??

hi lads thanks for your help!ive checked all the obvious as im a mechanic and there is a new rad in it, so all i came up wit was when it gets hot the gaskets are leaking or there is a crack in the head so i have the engine ready to lift out this evening and strip it down!!

3 things before headgasket would be rad/thermo or airlock :thumbsup:

I had this problem last winter and got a new rad and thermo, Couture Auto sorted me out and they are traders here :thumbsup: If your stuck you could give them a holla..Best of luck :subaru:

Back