MAF

johnjoe64

Petrolheads
Folks I cleaned element on MAF last week and it was fine for a while but just this evening it started hunting for idle again would a new air filter help or go for a new MAF and are they really in the price range of 400 euro many thanks John Lewis.

What MY? Should not be €400 (at least, not in Switzerland!), and did you reset the ECU after swapping the MAF last week? Note that if you have not had regular service on the car, then it is normal for the O2 sensor to also be faulty, meaning a rest of the ECU can cause even worse problems due to the rich running caused by the under-reading o2 sensor. Worst case; replace (phase 2) MAF, replace O2 sensor, stirp and clean idle solenoid and stepper motor, rest ECU. Should be good to go.

Richard

Legacy B4 BL5 car is well maintained and problem started when a well meaning friend cleaned K & N air filter so I dont know many thanks John L

[quote author=John L. link=topic=28207.msg329211#msg329211 date=1293189803]
Legacy B4 BL5 car is well maintained and problem started when a well meaning friend cleaned K & N air filter so I dont know many thanks John L
[/quote] if filter was over oiled, after cleaning maybe some oil got onto maf sensor, take out sensor and clean it with some electrical contact cleaner and see if that helps. new MAF is about 130 euro, try someone elses before you waster money on a part that isnt broke. if your around dublin over xmas after snow is gone you can try mine

Thanks folks and many thanks Dan I did not use oil but my mate used a low air line just to blow dust off Im not saying thats what caused it but it started from there what is the name of the contact cleaner cheers John L. PS Where will I get a new sensor and by the way the problem is intermittent cheers :thumbsup:

Back