Leak or headgasket?????

BrianWRX97

ok hopein someone can help me out with this one...... the car is a 97 sti if dat makes a difference... its losing water through the expansion tank at the passenger side wing its like it starts to boil up nd gets pushed out.... any ideas what it could be???? all comments are welcome thanks

nearly sure it's the head gasket mate, my civic did the same a few years back and that was the prob, to be 100% sure get a sniffer test done on it

once the alloy tank is full its ok, that plastic 1 is just a over flow do not top it up.when engine is hot coolant is pushed in and sucked back when cold

[quote author=dave b link=topic=28201.msg329077#msg329077 date=1293102843]
once the alloy tank is full its ok, that plastic 1 is just a over flow do not top it up.when engine is hot coolant is pushed in and sucked back when cold
[/quote]
ye i no that its just filling right up nd coming out of the hose onto the ground all the time .....would der be an air lock???

Check your oil filler cap,if there is like a white mayonase looking substance you have a head gasket gone.

[quote author=Scoobyke link=topic=28201.msg329079#msg329079 date=1293103070]
Check your oil filler cap,if there is like a white mayonase looking substance you have a head gasket gone.
[/quote]
no its clean its 1 of the first tings i checked nd keep checkin nd i only get hot air in the vents wen i rev the car????

must be air lock take cap off run it 20 25 min with heat on full,check fan kicks in,or could be dodgy thermostat

[quote author=BrianWRX97 link=topic=28201.msg329076#msg329076 date=1293102692]
tanx man do you no what garage does them????
[/quote]

most places should do it i'd say, i got it done in my last job ep mooneys on the long mile road

Had same issues Dave in sti tuning talked me through fix. My problem was a split pipe to throttle body heater plate. Check for air lock first massage bottom Pside pipe should be warm and top left with expansion tank open any mayo is bad news as is flecks of black material that's your gasket breaking down. With car running keep massaging out air and topping up coolant as you go. Leave heater on full if air is cold, its generally a bad air lock. Keep at it until all air bubbles are out. Don't forget don't ler it boil and dont put cold water in a boiling engine you will crack the head.

I had a similar prob with my b4. It turned out to be a hose clamp wasnt tightened. and the coolant was leaking on the exhaust.(Id check every coolant pipe first), put a sheet of cardboard under your car and that way you will see what side its dripping from if it is. As said if it was goin into the engine youd have white gunk in your oil. or lots and lots of water/condensation comin from the exhaust. << thats my experiance with head gaskets..
Best of luck dude..

just found out last nite dat the headgasket is gone :( so now its back out with the engine for dat nd mayb treat the car ta a nice lightweight flywheel nd exedy clutch :)
tanx for all the comments nd help from everybody

Back