Knocking at really low speed

Rob Spec C

Octane Boostaholics
Alright lads, just joined up as a full member now.

Just got a B4 on friday night and have noticed a knocking at really low speed. It only happens sometimes, and its not from the engine. If i accelerate it goes away and was wondering if this was normal for a turbo car as this is my first 1.

I initially thought it may have been the clutch but it still happens if i put it in neutral and free wheel at low speed or when in gear and press the clutch in. Any help would be greatly appreciated. As i said, once the car gets going its great and really smooth and it only happens sometimes.

I am takin it back to him 2nite so he can put a cd player in2 it and it would be great if any1 had any ideas so i could say it to him.

Cheers,

Rob

could be a cv joint but they usually knock when turning..I presume it sint there when your stationary? drive in a tight a cicrle as possible and listen for it..it could be just a cv boot thats torn and the clip is knocking

I have knocking noises coming from the car - mainly when I drive slowly over speed bumps, or rough surfaces - sounds like shocks or suspension.  Done a bit of searching about this on the Internet.  It seems the bushes go on Subaru's quite often than most.  You might just have a damaged bushing somewhere.  Check to see what the surface is like when you hear the knocks - and try and locate the knocks.  My knocks are less when the car is heavier - 4 people in the car vs 1 person.  I even notice a difference when the fuel tank is full vs empty.  The lighter the car, the more knocks I hear - which leads me to believe it's bushings about the suspension area.  This is a common problem in Subaru's - bushings going.

[quote author=Dagnut link=topic=3188.msg31010#msg31010 date=1186478509]
could be a cv joint but they usually knock when turning..I presume it sint there when your stationary? drive in a tight a cicrle as possible and listen for it..it could be just a cv boot thats torn and the clip is knocking
[/quote]

Not there while stationary, its def not coming from the engine. It happens at low speed going straight but more so while turning tight. How would i check the cv joint?

[quote author=CamoMo link=topic=3188.msg31011#msg31011 date=1186478815]
I have knocking noises coming from the car - mainly when I drive slowly over speed bumps, or rough surfaces - sounds like shocks or suspension. Done a bit of searching about this on the Internet. It seems the bushes go on Subaru's quite often than most. You might just have a damaged bushing somewhere. Check to see what the surface is like when you hear the knocks - and try and locate the knocks. My knocks are less when the car is heavier - 4 people in the car vs 1 person. I even notice a difference when the fuel tank is full vs empty. The lighter the car, the more knocks I hear - which leads me to believe it's bushings about the suspension area. This is a common problem in Subaru's - bushings going.
[/quote]

The bushing is 1 of the reasons i thought it may be happening but does yours go away as soon as u take off?? Is it expensive to replace the bushings?

A cv joint wont really make a noise in a straight line,usually only when turnning left or right,it make like a cluck cluck sound.as said make a real sharp turn,as in drive in a circle to the left,then try it to the right,one side you will hear the noise,thats prob the best way to check it... :thumbsup:

[quote author=scoobyke link=topic=3188.msg31019#msg31019 date=1186480411]
A cv joint wont really make a noise in a straight line,usually only when turnning left or right,it make like a cluck cluck sound.as said make a real sharp turn,as in drive in a circle to the left,then try it to the right,one side you will hear the noise,thats prob the best way to check it... :thumbsup:
[/quote]

Ye, thanks m8, i'll try that on my break in a while

[quote author=BlackLegacy link=topic=3188.msg31018#msg31018 date=1186480217]

The bushing is 1 of the reasons i thought it may be happening but does yours go away as soon as u take off?? Is it expensive to replace the bushings?
[/quote]

If I drive slowly, you can here knocks, and an occasional rattle - defo from suspension or shocks (Bushings). You don't hear it as much when you driving faster than normal. After reading a bit about this on what I found on the Internet, my noise is down to bushes. If I drive over brick paving, then you can hear it - but on smooth tar road (few and far between), it's fine - I only hear the noise when the shocks are working, or the rocker arms are moving, etc.

I've done some pricing - 22 WhiteLine Bushes Set for an Impreza goes for about £275 (€400) - but that's relacing ALL your bushes, so not bad. If you going to replace one or two, I'd replace the whole lot - that's how I think anyway. :D Maybe it would be an idea to put your car up on rollers - and see if the sound is heard - they could pin point - but then you'd be going in a straight line - might not make any noise - but could be a start. :thumbsup:

I was just out there in her now and it wouldnt happen at all. It seems to happen after the car has been running for a while only, doesnt seem to happen when its cold. Gonna have 2 look into it a bit more i think, have 2 take it back where i bought it 2nite anyway so i'll say it to him but he'll probably say its just normal wear and tear and i'll have 2 sort it myself.

Any good subaru garages around dublin any1 know of?

where did you buy just as a matter of interest? if its not happening when cold it wont be a cv joint..carrol roche did a diagnostics on my car for 40 squid i think it was..there at newlands cross

@ camomo sounds like a drop links are shot if you go up or down the small bump in your drive do you hear it if so deffo the drop links they are on the roll bar under the back of the car.
When you have 4 or 5 people in the car all the weight is pushing the car down onto the roll bar and no noise.

[quote author=keith dublin link=topic=3188.msg31061#msg31061 date=1186493127]
@ camomo sounds like a drop links are shot if you go up or down the small bump in your drive do you hear it if so deffo the drop links they are on the roll bar under the back of the car.
When you have 4 or 5 people in the car all the weight is pushing the car down onto the roll bar and no noise.
[/quote]

Keith - don't want to hi-jack this thread (Although being from South Africa, hi-jacking is a normal occurrence :D ). What you said sounds about right - when there is more weight in the car, the knocking is way less. I guess I need someone to sit in the car with me a listen - you up for it...?? :D :D Although I think the drop thinks have been replaced when Johnny had the car.

i had a strange one , something like that blacklegacy . when the roads were wet or if i had a few in the car it was sound . i spray,ed grease up into the shock and its been fine since !

Bought it in 'Per4mance carz' in coolock. Was really in great condition and i only noticed this when i first tried to park it. I actually went to school with the seller. Doesnt seem to happen when the car is cold, strange. :ponder: He took it off me last night and is droping it into a mechanic this morning, and gave me a Renault megane to spin around in.(Feels like i was driving a tank compared to the B4) He has been fine to deal with so far but i'll keep ye all updated.

He told me last night it might have something to do with the differential as he has seen this before on some Altezza's. Said it happens when you change gear with high revs. No idea if this is true or not?? But i dont see how it could be true. Has any1 come across anything like this before??? The more info i have the better. Other than this the car drives great which is why it is annoying me so much.

No !!! not from what you have described
diff would sound worse with more in the car , on hard acceleration
and unless totally fooked it would make less noise going slowly

Niall.

Back