A Little Business Advice!!

MrMagoo

Middle Lane Hogs
Hey folks, am new to the business world in that I opened my own Graphic Design & Print Company 1 year ago, things are going ok, but I feel im not making the most of the opportunities around, does anybody have any decent advice for a newbie!

Looking for info on:

1 Best ways to advertise
2 Building a client list
3 Networking
4 Getting the foot in the door of new companies, before they have had all there designs done and printed!!

This may not be Scooby related but if I dont get my ass in gear it may resiult in me loosing my scooby!! LOL

[EDIT] Sorry, spamming for business is not allowed Eoin[/EDIT]

I'm a designer myself Eoin, well, at least I like to think so. Building up a reputation is tough and there is a LOT of competition in Cork. I started on my own about 8 years ago, luckily I had been working for some reputable studios in Cork and I found it easy enough getting work by word of mouth after building up a good portfolio.

You may get good advice over at www.creativeireland.com - join the forum and see what's happening...

Good luck and sorry for having to edit your post - ISDC policy ;)

Sorry about the inappropriate post Scooby555

Cheers for the link, just registered and it looks very interesting. Whats the company name you own?
When I started out, i was lucky enough to get overflow work from a printers in douglas, I have moved away from him due to non payment and have since been self sufficient, wouldnt mind getting a contact like that again though, to concentrate on design.

Any ideas as to how i should go about this?? Or any other experience you have had?
Any help is really appreciated!

Regards
Eoin

My advice would be find something that you're really good at and concentrate on that, or find a niche market that hasn't been exploited. For example there was a designer out here in the west who was tipping along for years doing a wide range of brochure work, packaging, identities & stationery, etc. then decided to focus on producing Mass Cards and is now highly successful.

Only take on projects that you know you can successfully complete, don't over-promise or sell yourself short, give good service and always follow up on jobs that you've completed. Get a network of printers and bureaus together who you can trust, ask around other design studios if they need your help freelance if they need holiday cover, etc.

Most stuff is common sense, anyway, have to go... deadlines to meet ;)

Paulo

I don't really know much about graphic design but the best piece of advice I could give anyone is to become a full member of the ISDC.

Many people have found it life-changing and all agree that it's the best €50 they've ever spent! :D

Back