C.E.L.

daveR

Petrolheads
Lads the Check Engine Light flashed on and off for about 5 seconds on fri and then stayed on for about ten minutes.

Same thing happened yesterday but this time it stayed on and its still on now :wall:

Could this be anything?? and is it safe to drive with this on?

:thumbsup:

C E L light doesnt come on for no reason

If it was me i wouldnt be driving it till i work out whats wrong!!!!

Whats the car running like, rev's jumping, rough idle is

it drinking petrol. Better to get it sorted just in case.

Brian there is no dump valve fitted but there is a big (unknown brand) air filter in her.

Murto the car is running fine.the revs went up to 2000 stuck in traffic on thurs night!it idle's fine (around 400rpm when idling) but it kind of feels like the car is a bit shaky when idling!

Is an idle control valve cheaper than an MAF??

400rpm is a very low idle-should be 750-800. Is it a dry or foam filter or is there oil on it. Do you know how to check for codes?

take off the idle control valve and give it a clean with carb cleaner, get some maf cleaner and do the same there....1 of the 2 might just need to be cleaned.....

Only time CEL came on was after i started the car from cold.

If i came back to start the car if the engine was a bit warm, the rough uneven

idle would happen. Turned out that in my case it was an engine Temp sensor at fault.

€90 for a new one at the time. Its was easy enough to change too. Best to get it checked at though as

it could be either a MAF or just a dirty throttle body(hopefully the throttle one too). Good luck :thumbsup:

[quote author=Murto link=topic=28056.msg327692#msg327692 date=1292187713]
Only time CEL came on was after i started the car from cold.

If i came back to start the car if the engine was a bit warm, the rough uneven

idle would happen. Turned out that in my case it was an engine Temp sensor at fault.

€90 for a new one at the time. Its was easy enough to change too. Best to get it checked at though as

it could be either a MAF or just a dirty throttle body(hopefully the throttle one too). Good luck :thumbsup:
[/quote]

Quite steep Murto! I bought one last month from Import Car Parts for 28 GBP!

I recommend Import Car Parts - the cheapest genuine parts and fast delivery ... :thumbsup:

http://www.japanesecarimports.net/parts.asp

After a drive home tonight,when i dropped a gear to overtake a car it flashed on and off again and stayed on.this is similar to the last two times this has happened.

Going to have to get her checked tomorrow.with xmas around the corner im praying this wont cost too much :pray:

Cheers lads :thumbsup:

what fuel are you running it on???
has it been mapped?

maybe fill her to the neck with Maxol E5 and add a bit of Lucas/NF Octane booster??

if its only happening at higher end of the rev range it could be knock / detination within the engine

is there a knock link fitted?

She's an irish wrx hammie so no need for E5 or octane booster!no Knock link fitted!fairly standard car!

Back