oil pressure reading problem

JOHNNY T

ISDC Club Member
howdy lads i noticed today when i turned on the ignition that my oil pressure gauge read 100psi (the highest reading on the gauge)
now i didnt have the engine turned over at this stage so i thought it was a bit weird :ponder:.....
being a bit paranoid i eventually turned the engine over and let the car idle for 15mins to let the oil heat up and to see would the reading drop down to normal but it never did....
has anyone any idea what could be causing this? faulty sender maybe :dontknow:

and normally when warmed up at idle i.e. when stuck in traffic, the gauge would read between 50-60 psi and on a bit of spirited driving it would go no higher than 80 maybe 90 sometimes....
ive never seen the gauge at 100psi until this morning......

[quote author=MarkC link=topic=28032.msg327360#msg327360 date=1292003320]
It could be the sensor or a bad earth
[/quote]
As above but I'd put a bet on the latter.. More than likely Earth is missing there.. with all the salt on the roads in Cork area.. the wires could have just corroded.

It's ridiculous how much salt I see on my car everyday :shock2: it makes me sick so jet washing the car every evening lol

cheers lads ill check all of the above 2mw :thumbsup:

i know how ya feel peter, i have to power hose my car every evening aswell :icon_eyes:

right lads got this problem looked at a few weeks back and i was told that it was a problem with the sender,
so i got a new sender today in the post along with a new gauge and the new gauge now reads about 10 psi on idle and when you rev the car the pressure shoots up like a rev clock.....
has anyone any idea at all what the fook is up with it :ponder2: :shock2:
i put the old gauge back in aswell and its doing the exact same thing :icon_eyes:

that is probably all good- nothing wrong with it. there is very little stress on engine at idle and 10psi should be enough for good enough oil flow. pressure should increase by ~10psi/1000rpm though (say ~55-65psi@5000rpm)...

i dont know what to make of it, when i first got the gauge fitted the lowest reading at idle would be a minimum of 40 psi now its at 10.....
im seriously getting pissed of with the car again..........

[quote author=JOHNNY T link=topic=28032.msg333384#msg333384 date=1295391559]
i dont know what to make of it, when i first got the gauge fitted the lowest reading at idle would be a minimum of 40 psi now its at 10.....
im seriously getting pissed of with the car again..........
[/quote]
would it be warm or cold? i would bet money that 10psi idle warm would be within factory specs. 10psi is a lot of pressure and there is not much going stress wise in the engine at idle

10 psi at idle is not enough. Perhaps the new pressure sender you got is not compatible with the gauge?

i got the same gauge and sender that i already had just to make sure the problem wasnt with both of them...
it seems to be idling at 20psi now and at 60mph in 5th its around the 60psi or a little higher.....

[quote author=JOHNNY T link=topic=28032.msg333468#msg333468 date=1295444368]
it seems to be idling at 20psi now and at 60mph in 5th its around the 60psi or a little higher.....
[/quote]
that sounds spot on

Back