McGard Lock nuts

antonm

Petrolheads
Anyone know the best way to remove the McGard lock nuts? I've lost the key socket that came with it and I threw out the packet they came in too :doh:

That could be a tricky one but I'm sure someone will come along with an answer

A good auto factors should have a tool for removing them... around 40 euro do... depending on how deep they are positioned in rim, you might be able to nick them with a flat punch and tap them around with punch or chisel and hammer.. again this realy depends on the rims and if you can get at the bolt without hitting your rim.. the tool you buy might not work if the bolts are down in narrow hole in wheel.. i had a prob with jap car i got that had no key and i used the chisel at them and they were buddy club p1 which were hard to get at stud but i took my time and done it with no damage.. it will all depend on your capabilities what you go for

:lol: :lol: :lol:

just as keith says its not pretty but it works

@keith ur never gonna work on my car :lol: :lol: :lol:

:thumbsup:

[quote author=six spoke clive link=topic=3235.msg31629#msg31629 date=1186895412]
:lol: :lol: :lol:

just as keith says its not pretty but it works

@keith your never gonna work on my car :lol: :lol: :lol:

:thumbsup:
[/quote]

LMAO   :lol:  :D  :lol:

You will probably need to buy 4 sockets as it usually is impossible to get the socket away from stud when your finished beating the sh*t out of it with hammer.. not sure what them lock nuts look like but there probably is a few designs that the socket trick wnt work on, just like the chisel or special tool wnt work on some types.. Ne way happy hammering :computer:

Cheers for the advice, I have her booked into a garage next week and they said it would take about an hour to get them off. :thumbsup: I didn't really fancy getting a hammer to them :lol:

Similar thing happened to my old mans car last year mechanic who serviced it put wheel nuts incl lock nuts  :angry: back on with air gun  :doh: then tried to deny it when he got puncture and we couldnt get wheel off.Anyway he took car back in and took him best part of day to get them off said eventually he had to get some special stuff to put on the lock nuts to help get them off feckin eejit.Anyway morale of story Anrton when they say only an hour dont be suprised if it takes a bit longer  :roll:  :D  :thumbsup:

Most garages will have a few removal tools. One of the better ones I've seen has a reverse thread on the inside of it. So when you try loosen the nut it tightens onto it. Works well. My friend fathers owns a garage that does a recovery service and they do it no bother. It's not a big deal.

A decent garage will sort you out in no time.

took my old car to quick fit

they had them off in five mins.

just got a lock nut that was a little smaller than mine

and gave it one good smack of a hammer and it was sorted.

dont do it man,, ruin them.. had same prob only two weeks ago, check glove box for sticker with code, ring mc gard in germany [ have number somewhere]  and they ll send out nut..  so ul  still have lock nuts aswell.  15 yo yo for lock key :thumbsup:

[quote author=mac mac link=topic=3235.msg32223#msg32223 date=1187266331]
dont do it man,, ruin them.. had same prob only two weeks ago, check glove box for sticker with code, ring mc gard in germany [ have number somewhere] and they ll send out nut.. so ul still have lock nuts aswell. 15 yo yo for lock key :thumbsup:
[/quote]

Too late.... Ha ha ha

Got it sorted, they drilled a flat bit on the nut and hammered it till it came loose and off they came, took about 20mins :thumbsup:

Back