Info on winter tyres

Altezza-Dan

Octane Boostaholics
couple of questions of anyone knows the answer.

Would a budget set of winter tyres be better in this type of weather than good set of all season tyres such as the Vredstein/ eagle f1 etc

Are skinnier tyres or wider tyres better in this type of weather? 205 vs 225?

Saw a set of Nankangs going for 300 fitted for 4 in Autodepot

One of the lads in work got a full set of Nankangs fitted to his Volvo V50 the other day Dan and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised at the grip & quietness on the road, he says they aint too bad in the snow either.

[quote author=dossie01 link=topic=27876.msg325712#msg325712 date=1291136569]
One of the lads in work got a full set of Nankangs fitted to his Volvo V50 the other day Dan and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised at the grip & quietness on the road, he says they aint too bad in the snow either.
[/quote]

were they winter ones he got? or just normal all season ones?

Seriously considering snow chains next year.

Main roads are fine yet I still see people in X5s and range rovers crawling along :angry1: :angry1: idiots...what did you buy a car like that for in the first place. Oh yes, thats right, social status statement :angry1:

just left my standard wheels in to get a set of winter tyres on them. 305 fitted for a set on Nankangs SV2, not too bad

Was in the brother in laws range rover yesterday pulled like a train no bother but still stopped and turned like a boat so I'd be taking it handy in what ever your in be it a 4x4 or not and he had a good set of winter tyres on it.

[quote author=keith dublin link=topic=27876.msg325845#msg325845 date=1291206954]
Was in the brother in laws range rover yesterday pulled like a train no bother but still stopped and turned like a boat so I'd be taking it handy in what ever your in it may be 4x4 or not
[/quote]

hopefully winter tyres should improve the turning and braking capabilities

just got the winter tyres put on there and the difference is unreal, no more sliding around turns or long braking stops, tyres bite into snow much better, much more controlled in this poxy weather. 300 euro for a new set of Nankang winters. If you have a spare set of wheels lads i would recommend it

i'll be doing it for next winter.. hopefully have the space cash to do it. 18" in this crap is too much. will get get 16 or 17" and put winter tyres on them.

[quote author=keith dublin link=topic=27876.msg325845#msg325845 date=1291206954]
Was in the brother in laws range rover yesterday pulled like a train no bother but still stopped and turned like a boat so I'd be taking it handy in what ever your in be it a 4x4 or not and he had a good set of winter tyres on it.
[/quote]
Keep in mind the weight of the car... and all tyres are different.

good all-season/weather like nokian wr g2, vredestein quatrac 3, hankook 4s, good year 4 seasons... would do just fine all year around. they would actually perform better than some "budget winter" and "budget summer". having said that these would be a rather bog standard tyres for bog standard cars- not quite for the sti for the whole year round.
skinnier tyres are better, it would be better to downsize on width and compensate with the profile to keep the diameter the same kinda like.

When driving on snow they wouldnt, dont know what they be like on clear tarmac... but just consider this, Look at the likes of Germany, Poland, Russia etc etc.. lots of snow and freezing conditions and very high percentage of cars are RWD and they all get around by using chains.
You can also get blankets for tyres, not sure how they work

actually in my experience driving in that neck of the woods, most people use snow tyres, with the metal spikes, its like there is no snow when you have them fitted! Chains would usually be last resort if you get stuck in a blizzard type scenario

[quote author=KENC link=topic=27876.msg326133#msg326133 date=1291331580]
When driving on snow they wouldnt, dont know what they be like on clear tarmac... but just consider this, Look at the likes of Germany, Poland, Russia etc etc.. lots of snow and freezing conditions and very high percentage of cars are RWD and they all get around by using chains.
You can also get blankets for tyres, not sure how they work
[/quote]

Don't know where you heard that, but chains are only used on roads where you are driving on snow, no tarmac/snow/ice in one pile. And as above - only in a "you get stuck scenario". That's why most of them are easily dis mountable.

And as above, skinnier winter tyres are better than wider.

Milo, it depends how deep the winter will be. I can't understand why government are not suggesting (or even make it mandatory) ppl to change their tyres. It is well known, that almost all summer tyres looses their performance (grip) in temperatures below 5+ (can't remember the exact figure, but it is NOT even a MINUS degree).

[quote author=Altezza-Dan link=topic=27876.msg326134#msg326134 date=1291332207]
actually in my experience driving in that neck of the woods, most people use snow tyres, with the metal spikes, its like there is no snow when you have them fitted! Chains would usually be last resort if you get stuck in a blizzard type scenario
[/quote]
studded tyres aren't allowed everywhere and they usualy have a rather low speed rating, and should be taken off as soon as snow/ice clears- best tool for the job- not sure but there might be legality issues involved. winter chains are good on snow/ice/compacted snow, not good on slush- same laws re usage as with studded tyres. Another thing is that one can drive on them (chains) up say 50km/h tops. they would be like this upgrade version of snow socks that i saw in use here- funny looking yokes:)
Notorious: you never know what might happen once the germans started running the country. heard that winter tyres (or proper all-season with a "snowflake on the mountain") became mandatory under law in the whole of germany (used to be only in certain mountain areas)

Back